What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind Prop Installation Help on RV7

BCP Boys

Well Known Member
I've purchased a Whirlwind 200RV prop with the Jihostroj Governor - I'm looking for someone that may be able to help with Firewall Forward plans or possibly provide pictures of the firewall forward plans showing the firewall penetration, the governor, bracket, and the oil pressure tube... as well the length of the Blue Prop control cable.
Very specifically I want to make sure that I'm buying the correct parts from Vans.
For example, the Governor Cable Bracket on Vans Website says it's for Harzell or MT Governors so I'm not sure if it will work with the Jihostroj Governor.

I'm sure of all the 7's out there, someone has installed a Whirlwind 200RV prop with the Jihostroj Governor that can help with some pictures or plans. As I said, I want to make sure I order the correct parts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I can?t help you with the governor installation.
However with the WW 200RV prop and the standard Vans cowling I had to narrow down the cowl lip because the WW backplate is wider. Some guys obviously got away without cutting the cowl - didn?t work for me!

Not a 7

This is the configuration that I installed on my RV-9A which I believe is mostly the same as the 7. I have an IO-320 instead of the (I)O-360 you likely have. I used the Vans governor bracket and it worked fairly well with only a little modification. I had to elongate one or 2 of the holes for mounting the governor, only by a very small amount (~1/32"). This was necessary to avoid cross threading and keeping the hole perpendicular as I closed the gap. I discovered this the hard way after shearing a machine screw when it didn't line up exactly.

It was a small change with a needle file, the modification took a lot less time and hassle than replacing the broken special order screw.

Like SuperCubDriver, I had to modify the cowl lip too in order to get spinner clearance. That was a much bigger job.

Still not sure

I still have some questions about all the parts that I need before I start. I found this AD that seems to be for all 4 cyl Lycoming. I'm wondering if Vans included this with any part of their kits? This is one of the reason I'm trying to find the FW Forward drawings/ parts list.

Anyone convert an already build fixed pitch to a CS RV 7 that can help with finding the part list of items that I need and if this AD applies to my setup?

Amir, I am embarking on the same project. In my case, I have a Titan IOX-370, so I contacted J.B. (James Ball) at Continental/Titan. He sent me the following list of parts that I would need (as copied from his email):

AEL68317 gear
AEL75153 housing - studded
AEL71596 washer
MS16624-2087 ring
AEL74070 elbow- to the adapter
MS20822-6 elbow - to the crankcase
AEL75167 tube
AELSTD1930 hose ? prop governor line support
AEL75165 clip
AEL68315 gasket
AEL72053 gasket

You probably need to contact your engine manufacturer to get a specific parts list, but I'd guess the above is pretty close.

In addition you will need a crankshaft plug to match the I.D. of your crankshaft. You can source these parts from Aircraft Specialty Services, or from other vendors. The oil pressure tube you are talking about is a standard part (AEL75167 above) and comes ready to install.

I bought the standard 55" control cable from Vans since this will be a standard installation. If it doesn't fit, it goes back to them. You may want to call them to ask what length you will need since I see they don't list the cable for the governor for the -7 on their site. One wonders why...

In re the governor, I ordered the Jihostroj P-920-028/A from Whirlwind Aviation for 1443.75. The oft mentioned PCU5000X is a relabeled Jihostroj, so it's your choice. I see that a previous poster says the MT governor is also a Jihostroj, so while I can't vouch for that, it appears that you can't go wrong with Jihostroj.

Lastly, Brantel's post about his conversion is a good read: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101425

Back