What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward fuselage floor stiffener gocha

Draker

Well Known Member
Fuselage builders: Here's a gocha to watch out for. Don't make the mistake I just did.

When drilling the F-772B-R&L floor stiffeners to the F-772 forward bottom skin, the plans have you to draw center lines on the angle to help you align them with the pre-punched holes in the skin. I did this and dutifully match drilled them through the skin.

I did not read the next step until it was too late. You have to drill the sides of these stiffeners to the F-601J angles on the firewall. Well, by following the 'center line' directions, I've ended up with 7/64" gaps between these parts now:

IMG_1366-S.jpg

IMG_1367-S.jpg

:mad: :mad:

I thought about asking Van's if I could put a shim in there and build on, but then wait! These stiffeners are just plain ol' AA6-063 3/4" angles with the ends all bent up. I've got tons of that. I could just re-make a new pair and re-drill them (not along the center line this time, obviously). That's probably what I'll do.

This is a public service announcement: READ AHEAD IN THE PLANS!

Gotcha thread

Good one Ryan. Would you post that to the 7 "Gotcha" thread or maybe the Moderator can move it.

You might be able to just bend the flange out a little too. These pieces aren't too expensive from Vans though. I bought a couple "extras".

Me

On my Rv9 ( same fuse as rv7) the side stiffeners had a really poor joggle. I cut them off and used another 3/4” angle nest with shimes. Much better result.
For these two bottom ones, i used the centerline for the outers and just had a min edge clearance line for the centers; i didnt try and put the center stiffeners in the eXact middle.
There is extra angle that came in the wing kit, so no need to buy extra parts from Vans unles you want the factory joggle.

Just started my 7 fuselage slow build last night and was working on fabricating the F-601J angles for the firewall and noticed the angle material is more than 90 degrees! Wondering if that caused your issue? Anybody else notice this? Seems odd and will call Van's to see if I have defective material before I do anymore cutting/filing/drilling to make the part. THANKS

<< Update after talking to Vans, they said often time the angle is not exactly 90 degree from the foundry and just to bend it back... I did and moving on.>>

Last edited:
Back