What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New battery, new noise?

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
Took my first flight after changing to a LiFePO battery (Shorai) last night. I've got a new loud static sound on my radio now, volume varies with radio volume so it's not intercom. It is nearly constant, across multiple frequencies, multiple headsets and both headset jacks. It's not tied to any lights being on and I was able to reproduce it in the hangar with nothing turned on other than the master and avionics master (engine not running).

I'm not completely certain that I didn't have some problems on my previous flight, before the battery change, I did change headsets because I'd lost 1 ear in my main set. My backup set is a bit noisy usually, but last night's trouble was definitely much worse. Noise level is high enough to get in the way of hearing some of the weaker transmissions. It almost sounds like it does when someone else on frequency has a stuck mic, but that's not the case. As far as I know it's not affecting readability of my transmissions.

I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, other than reproducing the issue. I'm sure I need to check my ground connection to the radio, but can't think of much else to look at. Is there a chance that the battery is the issue?

Put the old battery back in (or just jumper your car battery to the plane) and retest on just battery power.

Back