What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loading an RV6A onto TRAILER

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
Folks,

I have a long haul to trailer home a 6A. As for winching up the a/c up the ramps... suggestions for pulling it? If I winch it level (waist high-ish attachment on the trailer), I worry about the forces on the nose gear once it begins its upward travel on the ramps, nose high. Make sense? Also, are soft straps around the center of the prop near the spinner my best bet?

Other input welcome? Including any/all trailer advice for a 500 mile trip.

Thanks folks!

I would not winch from the prop. When I moved mine, I made a Y harness from the main gear forward to the nose gear. The load was carried by the mains, the nose gear just provided alignment.

I dont know how familiar you are with the 6A, but unless you have a false spar, the gear comes off when the wings come off.

I moved a 6A rebuild project 1200 miles inside a car hauler trailer some years back. We removed the empennage, wings, & prop to get it to fit inside the trailer. Because of a built in work bench in the front of the trailer, we had to pull it in tail first. The wheel width was a couple inches too wide for the trailer door, so we tied the gear legs together & sucked the wheels in to make a narrower stance. We built a tripod to solidly secure the tail cone from bouncing. Wings & other panels were secured to the floor under the fuselage. Lots of load straps to keep everything in place, double checked everything at each gas stop & the whole thing arrived at destination in good order.
As mentioned above, wood spacer blocks need to be be installed where the spar is usually bolted to the fuselage center section to support the gear leg brackets.

Back