VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 PM
azflyer21 azflyer21 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 173
Default Tablet mount - Show your setup - RV14A

Curious how you have mounted a tablet in your RV14?
__________________
Kevin Lippert
Zenith 750 completed 2016 -
Sold

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
New Build Log
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 PM
bkervaski's Avatar
bkervaski bkervaski is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,269
Default

I haven't found a tablet necessary with the Garmin G3X Touch and GTN combo. What avionics are you planning?
__________________
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 PM
rwthompson67's Avatar
rwthompson67 rwthompson67 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 36
Default

I used to fly an RV-8A with a single Dynon D-180 and some steam gauges. I considered my Ram mounted iPad running ForeFlight (coupled with a Stratus) required equipment.

Last week I flew my RV-14 (dual HDX and a GTN) from Oregon to Virginia. We had an iPad loaded with ForeFlight in the cockpit but never felt a need to fire it up.
__________________
________________________________
Rick Thompson
RV-8A N306R #82456 Bought/Sold
RV-14 N327RT #140347 Slow Built/Flying
TBolt IO-390, Dual PMAGS, Hartzell composite, Dual HDX, GTN-650
Phase 1 Complete 4/17/2019
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM
azflyer21 azflyer21 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwthompson67 View Post
I used to fly an RV-8A with a single Dynon D-180 and some steam gauges. I considered my Ram mounted iPad running ForeFlight (coupled with a Stratus) required equipment.

Last week I flew my RV-14 (dual HDX and a GTN) from Oregon to Virginia. We had an iPad loaded with ForeFlight in the cockpit but never felt a need to fire it up.
That's good to know, looks like I'll be good without a tablet in the cockpit. How long was your flight time from Oregon to VA? My engine and panel will be just like yours except for the GTN, I'm going with the Avidyne IFD440.
__________________
Kevin Lippert
Zenith 750 completed 2016 -
Sold

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
New Build Log
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 PM
azflyer21 azflyer21 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
I haven't found a tablet necessary with the Garmin G3X Touch and GTN combo. What avionics are you planning?
Dual HDX and IFD440.
__________________
Kevin Lippert
Zenith 750 completed 2016 -
Sold

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
New Build Log
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM
n982sx n982sx is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyer21 View Post
Dual HDX and IFD440.
With a dual screen EFIS I would agree that loading the flight plan is all you need the iPad for. It becomes redundant in the cockpit.

However, for any single screen builders out there, my setup with an iPad works well. I have a single screen G3x touch, 625 and a G5. I use a powered mount for my iPad as a second screen. It is easily removable in flight and I can put it on my left knee with Sportys cheap but effective iPad knee board.

I use it to review weather or make changes to the route in flight. It was very handy coming back from Sun-n-Fun this year for those very reasons. Worked very well and saves on a second screen.
__________________
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Jake14 Jake14 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 237
Default

I agree that with 2 screens on the panel an iPad would be redundant. I have just one AFS5500 and an iPad mini velcroed to a RAM ball mount (see pic) just above my left knee. It has FlyQ connected to a stratux for traffic or geo-referenced plates and can also display a backup AI. I find I use it about half the time. The mounting is close and gives good screen visibility with the adjustable angle and is convenient for poking the screen. Also gives cheap, independent EFIS redundancy with over an hour battery life just in case...what's not to like? :-)

__________________
RV-14A #140158 flying
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Boyd Birchler Boyd Birchler is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: IN
Posts: 203
Default

I have 2 G3X screens and a standby dynon 10A.
I mount a full size Ipad on a RAM mount to the far right. The RAM ball is permanently attached to the panel.

My reasoning is if everything else fails the Ipad will give position and map for a few hours on its internal batteries...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Pilot135pd's Avatar
Pilot135pd Pilot135pd is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ben Wheeler, TX
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
With a dual screen EFIS I would agree that loading the flight plan is all you need the iPad for. It becomes redundant in the cockpit.

However, for any single screen builders out there, my setup with an iPad works well. I have a single screen G3x touch, 625 and a G5. I use a powered mount for my iPad as a second screen. It is easily removable in flight and I can put it on my left knee with Sportys cheap but effective iPad knee board.

I use it to review weather or make changes to the route in flight. It was very handy coming back from Sun-n-Fun this year for those very reasons. Worked very well and saves on a second screen.
Which powered mount for the iPad?
__________________
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 PM
n982sx n982sx is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Which powered mount for the iPad?
I used this one.

https://www.guardianavionics.com/ifd...-ipad-pro-10-5

I bought it three years ago. They sold it without the fan for a lot less and I bought a fan from aircraft spruce cheap. It works great. Easy to get in and out in flight.



__________________
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.