VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Default Replace Bearings - Cleveland Wheels

I need to replace the bearings in the main gears on my RV-6A. Haven't ever done this before. I've got a friend with experience that is going to help me with the replacement, but I need some assistance on exactly what I need to order. The wheels are Cleveland Part #40-78B 5.00-5. Is there someplace that will give me some information on this job and what parts I need to order. The info I've found online is very confusing to me.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 AM

You can go to the Cleveland web site, might be Parker Hannifin, and DL the exploded view of your wheel set. That will give you all the part numbers you need.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 AM

Jim,

I don't have my '91 era RV-4 wheel p/n handy, but for it, the following info is what I have.

The 'stock' tapered bearing set for Clevelands are 'precision' bearings. They are fairly pricey. From an old Matronics RV-list post:

I don't know whose P/Ns those are (maybe Van's), but from the Parker
Cleveland Parts List, I show the Cone Bearing as Cleveland P/N 214-00400 and the
Race (Cup) as Cleveland P/N 214-00300.

Some of us have found that in our personal experience, the following 'less precision' bearings fit the axle/wheel, and have given hundreds of hours of good service (links are to NAPA part #s, but they are Timken bearings):
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BRGBR08231
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BRGBR08125

The Timken #s are 08125 & 08231. You need two sets for each wheel.

You must make your own decision on whether to pay the premium for the higher precision versions (if you order the Cleveland p/n, you'll likely get Timken bearings; just the higher precision tolerance versions).

Charlie
Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Jim,
Vans sells the parts you need if you have the time to wait.
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...ct=wheel-parts

I have purchased them from a local auto parts store, they had them in stock under the brand Timkin. Just take your old part there and match it up.

Obviously you will need to jack the plane and remove the wheel, then remove the bearing clip/washer/felt/washer/cone bearing. Once there flip the wheel/tire over and use a punch to reach in and slowly tap the
"race" out....slowly and keep moving the punch around the edge so you don't get the race crooked. Once you have it out, reverse order for installing the new one.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB

Last edited by Bob Martin : 05-14-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Cleveland has a component maintenance manual that addresses changing the bearings. You must replace the race if you replace the bearing. It is very easy to remove the bearing races from the wheel halves if you heat them in an oven at 250 deg f. Reinstallation is really easy if you heat the wheels and chill the races in dry ice. They literally drop in, no risk of damage to the wheels.

That said, I had Anti Slat replace my bearings with their mod and they are now no maintenance.
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 05-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Default Shimmy

Dan,
Did you notice any reduction in shimmy with the bearing mod?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM

My hangar mate did the anti-splat aero wheel mod on his -6 and it looks very nice and rolls noticeably easier than my -6. This mod is on my to do list.
No noticeable reduction in shimmy........
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbryanolsen View Post
Dan,
Did you notice any reduction in shimmy with the bearing mod?

Rolls smoothly, but not able to tell if it has any effect on shimmy. That was not my main reason for doing the mod.
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 05-14-2019, 11:18 AM

Just remove the bearing and take it to a local bearing shop and purchase timkin bearings. The bearing will have a number on it. Remove the inner race by just tapping it out, and install the same way. Clean and reuse the felt seal. Spray it with brakeclean and press it between a few paper towels. Saturate with oil and press between paper towels again..... they will last for 20 years. Remove all of the play in the bearing when you install the wheel... snug it up first, then back it off after it's seated, then tighten just over HAND tight. This procedure is for NON sealed bearings used on the RV6/6A.
VAF #897
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBanker View Post
I need to replace the bearings in the main gears on my RV-6A. Haven't ever done this before. I've got a friend with experience that is going to help me with the replacement, but I need some assistance on exactly what I need to order. The wheels are Cleveland Part #40-78B 5.00-5. Is there someplace that will give me some information on this job and what parts I need to order. The info I've found online is very confusing to me.
Have you looked into the main wheel bearing mod offered by Antisplataero? They are sealed, low-maintenance, permanent, and impressive- Otis
https://antisplataero.com/products/m...el-bearing-mod
Frmr Test Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2019 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"