What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB wing access

1bigdog

Well Known Member
ok, last question before ordering.

I'm trying to decide if the QB wings vs fuse makes sense.

With a QB wing is there still adequate access to plumb and wire for heated pitot, AOA, and strobe, nav and headlights.

Also need to know if there is still access for a return line if I end up with fuel injection that requires it.

Thanks for the guidance.

The short answers of yes are indeed the case. The longer answer is...

The QB wing comes with the bottom outboard skin off. That's about 2/3 of the wing length, so lots of access. There is an access panel in the middle of the bottom inboard skin if you need to reach in. There are two 5/8" holes with plastic bushings run through the aft ribs that will work for pitot/AOA. Need to add something for wiring in that wing - conduit tied to small holes adjacent to the large lightening holes looks to be easy enough (that's what I'm doing). Fuel tanks form the leading edge on the inboard half of the wing with the access hole/pickup right at the wing root.

The short answers of yes are indeed the case. The longer answer is...

The QB wing comes with the bottom outboard skin off. That's about 2/3 of the wing length, so lots of access. There is an access panel in the middle of the bottom inboard skin if you need to reach in. There are two 5/8" holes with plastic bushings run through the aft ribs that will work for pitot/AOA. Need to add something for wiring in that wing - conduit tied to small holes adjacent to the large lightening holes looks to be easy enough (that's what I'm doing). Fuel tanks form the leading edge on the inboard half of the wing with the access hole/pickup right at the wing root.

Thanks Claude

Looks like you've done the way I'm looking to do it with slow build fuse. My thinking is that I can get the fuse done and get ahead on the wiring, plumbing, panel and fwf while the wings are being built.

Cheers

I didn't have to wait for my qb wings, I bought a project that consisted of empennage and qb wings. Ordered my slow build fuselage almost right away, finish kit 11 months later.

There are 2 things that ship with the qb wings that you need for the fuselage, the center section and the long 16' angle for the longerons. I imagine Van's can ship those with your fuselage so you can build in the order you are planning.

Back