What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual comm radios

BHunt

Well Known Member
How difficult is it to set up a 2 comm system in which you can tx and rx at the same time (2 mic buttons). Used primarily as a Prime and Aux for intraflight freq's/ talking to two agencies.

It's easy to set up; the problem with light aircraft is getting he two antennas far enough apart so that one transmitter doesn't overload the other receiver. At a minimum try one antenna on top, the other on bottom.
You can either wire the radios thru appropriate switches, or some audio panels (e.g., PS engineering's 8000 series) have this function built in.

It's easy to set up; the problem with light aircraft is getting he two antennas far enough apart so that one transmitter doesn't overload the other receiver. At a minimum try one antenna on top, the other on bottom.
You can either wire the radios thru appropriate switches, or some audio panels (e.g., PS engineering's 8000 series) have this function built in.

Is that capability in the whole 8000 series?

I think so, but call them and ask. As I recall they call this "split" operation; it puts the right seat on com 2, left seat on com 1. You push both com 1 and 2 buttons at the same time.

I've got two comms and an PMA 8000B and was wandering if I could do just that. We have one antennae on top and the other one on the bottom. I'll have to look into this function. It could be handy with two pilots , one could be calling FSS while the other is monitoring flight following.

We use split com quite a bit via the PS 8000. It is really nice, but my antennas ceartinly aren't far enough apart as bleed is a real problem sometimes.

Its a one button push to select from comm1 to comm2 on most intercom panels. I am not sure what the advantage would be to set it up as you describe unless I am missing something.

George

Its a one button push to select from comm1 to comm2 on most intercom panels. I am not sure what the advantage would be to set it up as you describe unless I am missing something.

George

Just being able to talk to an outside agency as well as have an intraflight freq. No need to reach up and swap radios each time.

We use it all the time in the rv10. One antenna on top other on bottom, no interference. We have the PM8000. Works well for PIREPS etc

Com1 is always left seat and com2 is always right seat in split mode. The pm8000 also has a mode whereby pilot and co-pilot can communicate during the split mode, yet the radio audio remains separated.

Guys: I have a Garmin -340 intercom and it has the ability to use two radios at the same time. I have exercised this function often in our SAR activities. Additionally, I have both antennae on the bottom of my -9A about 24" apart laterally. The antennae are Commant and the radios are GNC 300XL and SL-40. Dan

Guys: I have a Garmin -340 intercom and it has the ability to use two radios at the same time. I have exercised this function often in our SAR activities. Additionally, I have both antennae on the bottom of my -9A about 24" apart laterally. The antennae are Commant and the radios are GNC 300XL and SL-40. Dan

Same with my airplane (G-340) except I have a G430W as Com-1 with an ICom A200 as Com-2. Works great.

:cool:

Dan and Galin, I have a 340 also, and the only way I know how to use two radios simultaneously is via the split comm function…which works the same way the others have described the same mode in the PM8000B (pilot on comm 1, co-pilot on comm 2). In that mode, each seat cannot hear what the other seat is saying or hearing (AFAIK).

I think Brad wants to be able to listen to both radios full time, and transmit on one or the other as needed…without reaching up and switching the audio panel.

Example would be listening/talking to ATC while leading a formation. One way to do this would be to have the mic key for each radio wired to a different button on the stick grip. However, on the 340, you can listen to any audio input simultaneously, but only one mic button can be selected at a time, unless you go to split mode…which isolates the two. Perhaps you could wire the second button on the stick as if it was the copilot button, but I'm not sure how to wire it to be able to listen to the second radio in split mode. A friend has his HRII at Mutha's (I mean Badger's ;)) place for a new panel, and he wants exactly this capability. Maybe Jon has the gouge on how to do this. I'd be very interested in the how to as well!

Cheers,
Bob

In trainer and fighter type aircraft in the military, you can simultaneously listen to two radios (a UHF and a VHF) and talk on one, utilizing a rocker switch with your thumb on the throttle. Pushing and holding the switch in one direction transmits on one radio; pushing and holding in the other direction transmits on the other. Incredibly useful when flying formation to monitor ATC and interplane frequencies simultaneously and be able to transmit on one or the other as necessary. I'd have to imagine this wouldn't be too difficult to set up in an RV like the -8 or -4, unless I'm missing something?

Best picture I could find to illustrate is the throttle (or PCL as they like to call it) on the T-6 Texan II...it is the black rocker switch below the light grey colored switch that operates the speedbrake.

My PS Engineering 5000 is supposed to be capable of dual transmission as well. I have yet to try it though.

:cool: CJ

Dan and Galin, I have a 340 also, and the only way I know how to use two radios simultaneously is via the split comm function?which works the same way the others have described the same mode in the PM8000B (pilot on comm 1, co-pilot on comm 2). In that mode, each seat cannot hear what the other seat is saying or hearing (AFAIK).

I think Brad wants to be able to listen to both radios full time, and transmit on one or the other as needed?without reaching up and switching the audio panel.

Example would be listening/talking to ATC while leading a formation. One way to do this would be to have the mic key for each radio wired to a different button on the stick grip. However, on the 340, you can listen to any audio input simultaneously, but only one mic button can be selected at a time, unless you go to split mode?which isolates the two. Perhaps you could wire the second button on the stick as if it was the copilot button, but I'm not sure how to wire it to be able to listen to the second radio in split mode. A friend has his HRII at Mutha's (I mean Badger's ;)) place for a new panel, and he wants exactly this capability. Maybe Jon has the gouge on how to do this. I'd be very interested in the how to as well!

Cheers,
Bob

Hmmmmm I guess I misunderstood what he wants to do. I have never tried to transmit on both radios at the same time. Anyways, I am going to have to try it next time I fly and report back.

:cool:

Dan and Galin, I have a 340 also, and the only way I know how to use two radios simultaneously is via the split comm function?which works the same way the others have described the same mode in the PM8000B (pilot on comm 1, co-pilot on comm 2). In that mode, each seat cannot hear what the other seat is saying or hearing (AFAIK).

I think Brad wants to be able to listen to both radios full time, and transmit on one or the other as needed?without reaching up and switching the audio panel.

Example would be listening/talking to ATC while leading a formation. One way to do this would be to have the mic key for each radio wired to a different button on the stick grip. However, on the 340, you can listen to any audio input simultaneously, but only one mic button can be selected at a time, unless you go to split mode?which isolates the two. Perhaps you could wire the second button on the stick as if it was the copilot button, but I'm not sure how to wire it to be able to listen to the second radio in split mode. A friend has his HRII at Mutha's (I mean Badger's ;)) place for a new panel, and he wants exactly this capability. Maybe Jon has the gouge on how to do this. I'd be very interested in the how to as well!

Cheers,
Bob

Exactly what I would want. Be able to listen to 2 radios, and choose which to transmit on with the use of a rocker switch.

Can one seat talk on 1 & 2? Or does it have to be one seat on 1, one seat on the other?

You can listen to both, then select which one you want to transmit on as single pilot. It's a quick button push to go back and forth.

Dual pilots could each be assigned a separate comm to transmit on.

You'll probably make somebody upset if you are transmitting on two channels due to the fact that the second channel may not be clear when you transmit on the first channel.

another option

I have dual coms, 1.) Garmin SL-40 and 2.) Icom A-200. I do not have an audio panel but utilize Vern Little's very slick AMX-2A 10-channel mixer. This allows me to listen to both radios simultaneously (along with all the other audio alerts and warnings from gps, efis, eis, etc). To select which radio to transmit, I would flip a dpdt switch on the instrument panel -- up for com1, down for com2. This winter I eliminated the switch and installed a couple of relays and am now able to select the transmitting radio by either the control stick trigger switch (com 1) or the thumb switch (com 2) on the control stick. Makes formation communication so much easier. Like Scoot in post #6, my antennas are also too close together and at certain freqs I get annoying bleed through.

Good Luck.

The PS Engineering PRR100EX has the split mode function that puts pilot on com 1 and copilot on 2. I have not tried it. They do warn of possible bleed over. Good four or two place intercom with its own radio, music listen to both radios, able to isolate the back seats so they can chat, three modes of muting, inputs for two or more audio inputs like the Skyview "trim down" lady and Bluetooth. No need for an audio panel.

Back