What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pressure sensor

bob888

Well Known Member
The Bendix 'spider' on top of my IO540 has 7 ports. Is the seventh for a fuel pressure sensor? There is a fuel pressure sensor in the engine kit from Garmin; will it function in that seventh port location?

No it is not, that port is for a special Fuel Flow meter that is actually a pressure gauge calibrated in Gal/Hour.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

You don't want your pressure sensor mounted to the engine anyway. You want it mounted somewhere with less vibration. Breaking a sensor mounted to the spider would spell disaster in flight.

In that case, I probably have no use for it. Can I simply plug it off? Special plug needed? Thanks for help on this one...

Drilled!

Make sure you get a plug drilled for safety wire or do it yourself. Had a friend lose a beautiful RV because his backed out which causes unrecoverable engine failure with possible fire. Fortunately, both pilots walked away unharmed from a very well executed off airport emergency landing but the aircraft was a total loss.

Make sure you get a plug drilled for safety wire or do it yourself. Had a friend lose a beautiful RV because his backed out which causes unrecoverable engine failure with possible fire. Fortunately, both pilots walked away unharmed from a very well executed off airport emergency landing but the aircraft was a total loss.

Just because someone forgot to tighten something and it fell out doesn't mean ieverything needs to be saftied now. Check any pipe fitting on any engine or FI system and tell me if you see them safetied from the factory.

No Doubt!

We had a Cessna 172 RG totaled due to the FACTORY oil galley plug coming out. You know, the one that seals the end of the oil galley after it is machined...

Textbook...5 miles from airport on climb out, oil pumped out of the engine, covered windshield, over forest, pilot decides to land in the only "clear" area which turns out to be a clearcut part of the forest. Lands amongst the stumps and scrub trees.

Airplane a complete loss.

Pilot and passenger walk away with nothing more than minor bruises.

Oh, pilot had about 110 TT...:eek:

Back