What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

compass placement

dan carley

Well Known Member
i installed a vertical card compass in my panel, it's getting to much interference.

where is a better place to install it?

dan carley

Location location

It all depends on the location of items in your panel. I have had mine in these two locations and it works great in both. I temporarily mounted it to the left of the garmin 510 gps (where the turn coordinator is) before redoing my panel and it would not work at all there, with the gps on its right. When I removed the gps it worked fine. When I redid the panel I first mounted it all in a plexiglass panel to make sure it worked properly before cutting the real panel. I have the Precision brand, I've heard from a few friends that they never got their Falcon brand to work properly, but I never tried the Falcon brand.
Hey Dan, check out our join date.

IMG_00355.jpg

Last edited:
Ditch it.

I placed mine on the "junk shelf" after trying 2 locations in my -4, which has limited panel space and no dash at all. I never got it to read accurate. I don't miss it at all, and see no need for it. I have a small panel GPS with a compass feature, a nexus tablet GPS and my Android phone GPS. If all the GPS's go dead, I have bigger problems!

i installed a vertical card compass in my panel, it's getting to much interference.

where is a better place to install it?

dan carley

I have several questions;
  • What is causing the interference with the compass?
  • Is it your main source of navigation (GPS, NAV/COMM, EFIS, etc) that you routinely use?
  • Is it accurate with these items powered off?
  • How often do you use the compass during normal navigation?

If you would only use the compass during times of complete loss of power and it is accurate, I would not worry about it. Just make sure that when you swing the compass you do so with all of the equipment that causes interference powered off.

I have a whiskey compass and never use it to navigate with and would only use it in dire straights.

Just something to think about when discussing accuracy.

What else do you have in your panel?

If you have only steam gauges then you need to put something in there to get it past the inspector. An auto compass secured with a suction cup will work.

If you have an EFIS, leave it out as you are covered by the EFIS's compass. For a backup, install a handheld GPS and call it good.

I've never found a spot that works well, and had no luck wth shielding metal from AS either. My compass is as much as 15 deg off on some headings. I left it in though and carry a diver's compass in my flight bag. In the very unlikely event that I really need it, I'll use the diver's compass for corrections. John

Last edited:
Danny
Nickel wrapped around a wet compass with electrical tape worked on a Cherokee I once owned. You must use a brass screw driver to calibrate it on the compass rose.

My Rocket had both a vertical compass and a D10 with the magnetometer. The compass was not happy in the panel and never could line up with the remote magnetometer. Rather than come up with a compass correction card a mile long, I took the compass out.

Last edited:
Back