What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best starter to use with catto prop?

80WD

My present starter will not stay engaged long enough to start engine if it does not start on first pop. I start engine on left mag and turn on right mag after engine is running. I have separate mag switches. It normally takes two or more tries to start engine. Warm engine usually no problem starts first try. The engine is a carb O-360 with two mags. Engine runs well, good compression, and low oil consumption. 1780 hours.
Dennis Winkel
920-296-0645

Skytech one data point

I have the skytech lightweight starter and the Catto 3 blade, 0-360 and dual mags. Never had an issue starting but I have the regular key switch and start in the "Both" position. I do have the standard primer installation which I use both cold and hot. Starts normally take a few blades.

If the engine actually fires (even one solid combustion event), do you really want the starter to stay engaged? If it does, it might stay that way after a full start.

I've got a wood 2 blade & whatever lightweight automotive starter that fits (in other words, a light weight aviation starter without the label...). Sometimes the O-320 it's on is hard to start, but it isn't the starter's fault; it's a Lyc with a carb & mags being operated by a klutz. :)

Charlie

starter with catto

I have o 360 and catto 2 blade with mag left and EI right and skytech. Easy starts left right or both.

Back