What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power - VPX - Pro

Fly Past

I'm New Here
Ok The RV-7 kit is ordered and the deposit is paid. Long ocean voyage to South Africa and then the odyssey starts. Has anyone any knowledge (other than the manufacturers website) or experience of/with the Vertical Power VPX-Pro system? Comments on quality, operation, support and reliability needed please.

Ok The RV-7 kit is ordered and the deposit is paid. Long ocean voyage to South Africa and then the odyssey starts. Has anyone any knowledge (other than the manufacturers website) or experience of/with the Vertical Power VPX-Pro system? Comments on quality, operation, support and reliability needed please.

Marc, Jake, and the entire VP team are nothing but top notch in their support. I've been dealing with them since they announced the VP-200 many years ago. I met them at a fellow builder's pre-OSH cookout and never heard of them before. Like most folks, I was very skeptical of this new company. Over the years I've had many opportunities to talk with Marc and Jake.

My preference was to install a VP-200, but I reverted to a VPX-Pro due to my budget constraints. Either product is outstanding and performs as advertised. While I understand the tolls for you to call the US may be costly (Skype is your friend), Marc is always willing to spend time on the phone to support his customers. The new VPX planner also helps making the installation go a little smoother too.

I'm not aware of anyone that has had a negative dealing with VP. Well, there is a minor one. The VPX-Pro is so popular, they can't build them fast enough. That's a good problem for a growing company. Lead time for my VPX appears to be about six weeks.

The VPX-Pro is a great solution if you value your time and don't want to waste your money and panel space for all those breakers.

bob

Love VP

I was going to use standard circuit breakers until a friend talked me into spending time with Marc at Copperstate. Knowledgable and pleasant, it was not long until I was convinced to go with the VPx Pro. It is installed now (but the AC is not flying yet) and starting to put power to it. Works great. It solves so many little problems, like flap and trim contols to easily wiring grip functions. I am not an electrical kind of guy by any stretch of the imagination (good at building wiring harnesses though). The tools the give you to wire and the design reviews they offer make the job much easier.

When I have asked for help I always got them on the phone and even a quick email question was turned around in hours. I highly recommend VP.

Comments on quality, operation, support and reliability needed please.

For Sure!!!

I purchased a VPX for the new 7 I'm building. Marc has been very helpful. My neighbor installed a VP-X in a 7 he is finishing for another neighbor. He wired the entire system in 4 hours with a pretty complex panel.

Also, on the new plane, I'm again using the Approach Systems Hub to further simplify the overall wiring. Approach is going to terminate the appropriate wires with the VPX pins!!!

we have got the vp200 installed, very early adopters (serial #23).
100hrs of actual (vfr only) field experience with a normal system load of about 17A.

performs nicely and very reliably so far :) especially the core electrics functionality is rock solid. bonus software functions like the display of checklists etc... still have potential for evolution.

also great praise for marc and the team.
during their first osh, we figured very quickly that this wasn't vapourware, and by all indications (vpx support by practically all efis's) the market proves them right.
simplified wiring/install is another benefit.

rgds bernie

vp for me

I have and electrical background and use electronics very similar to this at work. I am building a rv8 and working of fuse now. I am planning on installing a vp. I have a lot of confidence in them after studying the way they are designed. Not sure which vp is for me yet, probably the single bus one will work best for me, being my 8 is going to be a vfr aircraft.

bird

Another thumbs up......

......for VP but the airplane is not flying yet. VP has its own forum which I monitor and Marc is very responsive to all queries.

I have the VP hooked up in my panel and it works great on the ground, modes do what they are supposed to, looking forward to the day I can use it in the air.

You might wait until you start your canopy to order anything - who knows, they may come out with a VP-Z by then!

You might wait until you start your canopy to order anything - who knows, they may come out with a VP-Z by then!

There is nothing wrong with planning everything now. Work on the data and power schematics on those days you don't want to work on the plane. ( i.e. raining, too cold, etc)

I would agree to not purchase anything for the panel until it's needed. I ended up chaning about 95% from what I originally planned to install. Some of the items I changed due to budget reductions (Vp-200 vs VP-X, 327 vs 330, SL40 vs SL40), other items were due to unforeseen opportunities (I got a good deal on another vendors used product), and lastly technology updates (i.e 430 vs 650).

Do find out what the lead times are, some vendors don't stock products and build to order.

Btw, there is a new VP product in the works, but you probably won't want it in a RV-7. All I was told by Marc was that it would be a high end product that wasn't replacing the VP-200. It's hard to imagine more bells and whistles than the VP-200.

VPX feedback from another FORUM

Subject: COZY: Re: [c-a] Product Report - 4 products in a Varieze

One point that's worth mentioning is some clarification regarding how the choice of the MGL Extreme was made. The MGL Extreme is the only SMALL EFIS option that supports the VPX integration. If a larger EFIS was an option, we would've gone in a different direction.

This brings up what I consider a major issue with the VPX. In order to use one in the plane, you MUST also acquire one of the supported third party EFIS's to control it since VPX does not offer an independent "stand alone" screen or interface. From their website....

"Interfaces
The VP-X requires an EFIS for alarm and status display. The currently supported systems include:

Advanced Flight Systems 3400s, 3500s, 4500s, 5000 series

Grand Rapids Technologies HX and Sport SX, HXr

MGL Avionics Voyager GEN II/Odyssey Gen II/Xtreme/iEFIS

Garmin G3X

Dynon SkyView SV-D1000 & SV-D700 (plus $275 license fee charge by Dynon)"

For example, if a circuit blows, the alert is sent to the EFIS screen. Or if you want to turn off a circuit, this is done through the VPX integration page in the supported third party EFIS. This obviously creates a technical dependency between VPX components and the partner company. If the relationship between VPX and the partner company weakens or development doesn't keep pace with the product line of the partner company then it could be a problem.

We were impacted on this project in such a way from two distinct events:
1. When I first ordered the MGL Extreme, I was told I would receive the unit in two weeks. They took my money and then informed me of a back order. I didn't get the new MGL display unit for a couple of months. This effectively blocked me from doing any integration testing with the VPX (such as the starter lockout circuit). I had to change my project strategy because I wasn't able to start building the avionics bus until I had my hands on that head unit. When I did get the unit, there were some changes to it that were not expected, like plastic fittings on the back for pitot and static instead of metal ones that were shown in the pictures. There were some other ripples too but that's enough for now.

2. During installation, we had a sort of "hard fault" error that came up when we were testing the starter circuits. The VPX support person suggested that the event was a known issue when a VPX was hooked to an MGL. The root cause may have been the MGL, or may have been the VPX. Fortunately, THE support person at MGL and THE support person at VPX know each other and have a reasonable and professional bearing towards one another but it took some pushing and shoving to establish some effective collaboration. To this day, I'm not sure if a technical fix was ever published or documented or if there will be some sort of technical update to the software or either system to address the glitch. Marc was forced into a position where he had to take the canard off the plane, hook up a LAN cable, and borrow an old laptop that supported the VPX software in order to hook up the VPX to force a hard reset. It's important to mention that the VPX was continuing to function even with the uncleared fault code, so it wasn't a flight safety issue, but was something that was WAY harder to deal with than it should have been.

And anyway why require the EFIS rather than the EMS? After all isn't the electrical bus a systems problem rather than a flight deck problem? That is probably a debatable position but I sure would have like to have had this thing integrate with my EI-CGR which is a MUCH better instrument and much less critical to flight safety.

Would I purchase the VPX again? It depends. It's got a lot of promise, and it delivers on 80% of what was promised, at least so far. But the risk that friends/partners today, become uncooperative competitors tomorrow isn't something I want to have to deal with, especially since it's so expensive to get established with a solution package. I don't want to get caught in the middle if there's a fight.

This is a purely speculative controversial opinion on my part, and I'm probably wrong, in fact I hope to be proven wrong. The cynic in me doesn't really see the VPX getting a lot of support from it's new parent company Astronics. They sell devices similar to the VPX for bigger planes like Pilatus, Eclipse and Lear that have starting prices at $40,000 and up. So from a business perspective, it doesn't seem like it would make a lot of financial sense for Astronics to want to push a development effort into the high risk, low profit experimental market. A cynic might speculate that Astronic purchased VPX to suppress the technology so it won't develop to the point that it risks their other highly profitable existing ECB solutions and that any VPX that's sold on the market today is simply an effort to sell off existing inventory. This entire statement is a direct contradiction to the message being put out by VPX who believes the product is stronger now than ever and that new development efforts are underway and we should see new products, integration and enhancements in the near future. And I am watching closely for evidence of exactly that.

For the foreseeable future, I must live with the fear that my VPX will burn out for some reason, and I won't be able to get a replacement because the product goes out of production with no replacements and THE support guy's cell phone is disconnected. This would make a wonderful horror show because it's absolutely central to the entire electrical buss for the aircraft. The entire electrical system would need to be ripped out, redesigned and rewired back to a traditional Aeroelectric style buss. We're talking months of downtime and thousands in materials. Not to mention that I'm now stuck with an MGL Extreme that was purchased at the exclusion of other options primarily to support technology that is no longer in the airplane....

So the verdict at this juncture is NO, it's unlikely I would choose to invest in the VPX Pro technology for my Cozy Mark IV unless I see some real product development and some of these weaknesses addressed. I don't feel better or more confident that my airplane is better for having the VPX installed in it.

Overall, I'm happy I went through this exercise, but like all learning experiences, just wish it didn't cost so much.

It sounds like your issue was with the MGL not Vertical Power. You are FAR from alone when it comes to being left out in the cold by an MGL product that doesn't work as advertised. Many such occurrences have been discussed in here and in MGL forums.

As for the VPX, my background is electrical engineering at Chrysler and then Martin Marietta and my VPX is one of the favorite parts of my plane. It works beautifully with Garmin...because Garmin has more than one engineer on staff, unlike MGL. I'm sure it works equally as flawlessly with the other well known EFIS systems. As with all things electronic, this system is only as good as the engineering department that implements it and MGL is seriously lacking in engineering horsepower. I would be far more worried about MGL kicking the bucket than Vertical Power.

Sounds like this guy has some beef with MGL and took it out on VP and the VP-X.

My VP-X Pro delivers on most if not all of what was promised to me in the advertisements (being conservative here just in case I missed something). It just works and works well.

It is hilarious that a guy that is worried about the future of VP goes on a public forum (granted not this one) and basically blast them and their product with his version of the story that is full of holes and what appears to be false information and then goes on to make up his own opinion of what is going on behind the scenes of the acquisition of VP by Astronic. If he knew anything about VP he would have known that they were in no position to have tons of inventory on hand and that his theory of them just selling off inventory is ridiculous.

Just an opinion of course, take it with a grain of salt. But I do know who the "Support Person" at VP is and he has been a friend of mine for over 10 years now. I have no connection with VP other than I bought, installed and used the VP-X Pro (paid full price for those that think otherwise :confused:). Just a happy customer....

Oh and by the way the VP serial protocol is available to the public if anyone wants to design and build their own stand alone small operator interface for the VP-X....

Last edited:
I agree with Brian. The VPX system is one of the coolest piece of equipment I installed in my 10. I would absolutely include this on the list of equipment for my next build if one ever exists.

It's probably going to come across as piling on, but I think sibriggs didn't plan his panel appropriately. He didn't ensure that all the comports worked well together. That's not a problem of the VPX. As he quoted, the VPX documentation states what is supported. The code is implemented by each EFIS vendor. Each vendor can make a choice of what features they implement. Seems like a conversation with MGL about their VPX support would be more appropriate.

My point of posting isn't to be critical of sibriggs, but to help educate those that are starting to plan their avionics design to ensure they ask appropriate questions of the vendors. Bottom line, don't make any assumptions. They'll bite you one way or another.

This is a gentleman named Izzy who is posting about his experience...which from my point of view went very well and was professional. Izzy is having Marc Zeitlin build his electrical system and airplane at his builder assist facility.

Matt (MGL) and myself were involved and there seemed to be a solution and fix on the MGL side...the VPX was performing as it should last I heard.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask...as far as I know, this issue was put to bed over a week ago by MGL.

Last edited:
sibriggs = Izzy Briggs

sibriggs = Izzy Briggs

This was a direct copy->paste from the Cozy Builders and Canard Aviators email lists. It was Izzy's post in both cases, so he's free to post what he likes, but without the context of the previous emails, it loses some meaning.

Just to keep it relevant, I have the VP-X Pro with a Garmin G3X (non-Touch) and have no complaints about any of it. Of course, I'm still not flying, but...

Yeah, I went back in my emails and saw his last name...I'll correct my post to reflect that. Thanks.:)

I installed a VP-X Pro and MGL iEFIS system. I didn't have any problem interfacing the two. You need to learn all the programming involved -AND- you don't need an EFIS to program or run the VP-X. You could have done all that on your computer, ethernet connection. I think it's a great product that saved me lots of time and has worked flawlessly for two years. One other big advantage over CB's is that you can re-configure anything on the VP-X anytime you want.

VPX feedback from another FORUM

Thought I should clarify the confusion about the VPX post. My name is Stephen Briggs, I building an RV9. My son is named Izzy and he is the person building the Cozy/Vari-eze. I observed his progress and frustrations with the MGL-VPX interface and copied the post over to the RV forum to get some input about the issues.

I am palnning to buy the VPX for my RV project and read all the postive comments about VPX, After hearing my son's frustrations I deveoped some concerns that VPX might not be here for long term. Thanks to Chad and the many comments on the subject I am now completely sold and plan to order a VPX as soon as my fuselage arrives.

My one remaining question is VPX Pro of VPX Sport?

Steve Broggs in NH

My one remaining question is VPX Pro of VPX Sport?

How many circuits do you require?

Personally, I would go with the PRO unless you have a relatively minimal VFR panel. You never know when you'll want to install something else down the road and need an extra circuit.

Fill out the VPX worksheet and see what your needs are, then it becomes a financial decision if either unit will work for you.

I also went with the Pro. My plane will be day/night VFR to start. I'll have the space to start adding goodies later. Oh what if I sell? Then the next owner has room to replace/add his goodies. As with other items it's easier to have more than not enough.

Last edited:
I went with the Pro and ran out of circuits. You have to be creative and think things through. And buy the cable kit, it's very complete and worth the money.

The VP-X is amazing. Can't imagine wiring my plane without it.

I went with the Sport, even though I have a decently equipped plane. My reasons were:
  1. With 2 buses, there is twice the chance that one will fail. And I have a backup battery for the essentials.
  2. I was easily able to power my plane with the Sport. I just ganged some devices together:
    • GMC 305, GDL 39R
    • GDU 460, GSU 25

The VP-X is amazing. Can't imagine wiring my plane without it.

I went with the Sport, even though I have a decently equipped plane. My reasons were:
  1. With 2 buses, there is twice the chance that one will fail. And I have a backup battery for the essentials.
  2. I was easily able to power my plane with the Sport. I just ganged some devices together:
    • GMC 305, GDL 39R
    • GDU 460, GSU 25

Perhaps true, but it's also a positive feature. Should a component fail, it only takes out half of your circuits. If you plan carefully and don't put all the critical circuits on one side, the impact won't be as great.

When to buy VPX

So when in the build is a good time to buy and start installing the VPX. I'm starting non avionics wiring now for lights, trim servos, etc and I like to test as I go. Would it be a good idea to install VPX now and start using it to power for testing. But I have no EFIS now. Could I still do this with laptop?

Steve,

Sounds like a good time to start thinking about and planning wiring. You can download the VP-X install manual today for free, and I recommend reading that through ahead of time to get a sense of things, and it also discusses planning.

And, of course, I recommend the Aircraft Wiring Guide below in the signature.

And yes, you can configure the VP-X with your laptop before you connect the EFIS. Further, you can turn devices on and off with the regular switches and the laptop, and you can also run the simulator in the VP-X Configurator (on your laptop) to see how things work as if you were in flight.

I am soooo close to firing up my VP-X Pro for the first time. When I started planning my electrical system to install in a RV-7A, it was going to be a Dynon Skyview with a VP-X Sport. That evolved into buying a flying RV-8A, and retrofitting the avionics with a Garmin G3X Touch system. I quickly ran out of circuits, but thankfully Stein allowed me to switch to the VP-X Pro. Hopefully if the gods cooperate, I will energize the aircraft tomorrow or Monday and program the VP-X Pro. I am *hoping* that my MacBook Pro running Windows 7/64 via Bootcamp will communicate with the VP-X. The VP-X configuration program runs, but I have to use a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter because Apple in their wisdom has deleted the ethernet port on newer Macbook Pros (and will soon do the same with USB type A ports....) Anyway, why did VP go with ethernet vs. USB?

Last edited:
VPX

Thanks I already bought and read this book.

Steve,

Sounds like a good time to start thinking about and planning wiring. You can download the VP-X install manual today for free, and I recommend reading that through ahead of time to get a sense of things, and it also discusses planning.

And, of course, I recommend the Aircraft Wiring Guide below in the signature.

And yes, you can configure the VP-X with your laptop before you connect the EFIS. Further, you can turn devices on and off with the regular switches and the laptop, and you can also run the simulator in the VP-X Configurator (on your laptop) to see how things work as if you were in flight.

Yeah, it is a bit unusual for a device to be programmed via ethernet. Used to be all RS232 serial, then manufacturers finally started shifting to USB. This is the only device I've seen that uses ethernet.

Yeah, it is a bit unusual for a device to be programmed via ethernet. Used to be all RS232 serial, then manufacturers finally started shifting to USB. This is the only device I've seen that uses ethernet.

Actually, it's becoming more common.

I've got five devices in my panel that speaks TCP/IP. Many of the EFIS vendors use IP to pass data between multiple screens. My three AFS screens are all connected to an Ethernet switch behind the panel.

The GTN650 also supports Ethernet, but it can only communicate with select other Garmin devices.

WiFi is also becoming more prevalent too.

VPX-X vs VP-X Pro

I used the planning app They provide and ran out of pins. Really? Are there some common planning errors? I see some of you recommend Pro. If I run out of pins in real is it easy to add more equipment outside of VP-X Pro? For example should a back up EFIS run outside VP-X ? And are USB power ports a good candidate for outside of VPX?
Thanks

I used the planning app They provide and ran out of pins. Really? Are there some common planning errors? I see some of you recommend Pro. If I run out of pins in real is it easy to add more equipment outside of VP-X Pro? For example should a back up EFIS run outside VP-X ? And are USB power ports a good candidate for outside of VPX?
Thanks

Yes, adding more circuits is pretty easy. Take a 10 or 15 amp circuit and run it to a fuse box. Take less important circuits and wire them to the fuse box. I ran the rear seat aux power port, some interior lights, aprs transmitter, naca vent controller, etc. to the fuse box. In an electrical emergency, this will most likely one of the first circuits to turn off.

You can also combine circuits too. I.e. Put two devices on one circuit.

I would leave all EFIS attached to the VPX. I have four in my RV-10 and all are on individual circuits.

I also have a secondary fuse box that is connected to the EBUS for backup power to a second independent battery.

Back