What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eastern Washington/Washington Idaho RVers?

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Our daughter was just accepted into a Masters program at University of Idaho (Moscow) starting in August. She will be there for next three years and we may fly up from Tucson Arizona in our RV-7A to see her from time to time. PUW is the airport we would fly into. Are there any RVers in the area? I am a VFR pilot and not familiar with weather patterns for this region and there is some serious terrain between Tucson and Pullman. Any info/knowledge of the region would be great help in planning our visits.

Hi Paul-
Moscow is a pretty little college town and KPUW is a nice little airport in good condition, perhaps primarily b/c Horizon Air (Alaska Air's commuter subsidiary) flies 1-2 flights a day out of there. I flew out of KSFF in Spokane and routinely flew down to KPUW to do research at WSU. Nothing particular out of the ordinary around PUW. It's far enough away from, and on the windward side of, the Rockies, so not many issues related to terrain turbulence. Your consistently good weather flying happens generally from May to mid-October. Between November and April the weather is much more variable. Some days good, others not so good. Compared to where I live now in the rain shadow of the Cascades in Central Washington, there are far fewer days in E. Washington that are good VFR days because the clouds start backing up against the windward side of the Rockies, but you should still find quite a few. January and February in particular you'll find quite a bit of low clouds and fog. I'm not aware of any RVs at Pullman, but there are a pretty good number at Felts in Spokane and in Coeur d'Alene at KCOE.
Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Last edited:
Paul, if you ever get shut out of Moscow, we are just west of Boise and I have a hangar at the Caldwell airport you are welcome to if needed.

RVs at PUW

Hi Paul, There are several of us at Lewiston,I'd. LWS. 45 min. Drive to Moscow. I, or friends, would have hanger space available. Email me at rv7jimsink@ gmail.com. Be glad to talk to you about how I go to Reno & SoCal.
Jim Sinkbeil. RV-7A RV-10

Back