What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7/7A improvements over the years?

slngsht

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if there have been any design changes/improvements to the fuselage over the years? Besides anything related to published bulletins?

I did a search and didn't come up with anything - perhaps didn't search the right terms.

Thanks

Does anyone know if there have been any design changes/improvements to the fuselage over the years? Besides anything related to published bulletins?

I did a search and didn't come up with anything - perhaps didn't search the right terms.

Thanks

The 7 is (was) a good airplane right out of the box from day one.

It still is.

Rudder change...

The first RV-7 kits used the -8 rudder. Later kits use the -9 rudder to improve spin recovery, IIRC.

And don't overlook the A-model nose gear mods....

Last edited:
The -7, as I understand it, was based on the -6 with lots of improvements. I imagine you might find some updates/corrections to plans and instructions so, if you are looking at an older kit, order the CD with instructions for $10 from Vans.

Any major change/update otherwise is likely covered by the aforementioned SBs. Call them to order the CD and they could confirm this information.

There was a change to the elevator counterweights. The early one was bolted on the end, the newer one is shaped on the tip. Lower total weight but same balance.

My kit was manufactured in late 2013. I just flipped through my plans for the fuselage only. All were drawn in the '99-'01 time frame with minor updates in '04 and one in '13 (change to MS hardware callout) Sheet C4 for the spinner was drawn in 2006, not sure what changed there. The only changes I could see were related to improved parts, i.e. Parts becoming prepunched/drilled.

So looks like no changes to the fuse. Different story for the tail feathers though, as mentioned above!

Thanks. The fuselage kit I was looking at was already sold.

Ohhhh! I understand the reason for your question now! If that was known in the first post, it would have been easier to answer!

Any way you slice it, there are no changes to the design of the structure whatsoever.

...aside from the known SB's that is.

Enjoy the build!

:cool: CJ

P.S. I have those aforementioned earlier tailfeathers. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I also am flying with the smaller -8 rudder and I am not dead yet. I like the way it looks!

Last edited:
Ohhhh! I understand the reason for your question now! If that was known in the first post, it would have been easier to answer!

Any way you slice it, there are no changes to the design of the structure whatsoever.

...aside from the known SB's that is.

Enjoy the build!

:cool: CJ

P.S. I have those aforementioned earlier tailfeathers. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I also am flying with the smaller -8 rudder and I am not dead yet. I like the way it looks!
sorry about that!

I'll be ordering the fuselage in a couple of weeks and doing it the old fashioned way.

Back