What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom made Bolt Cutter Rivet Squeezer?

FresnoR

Well Known Member
Has anyone heard of or tried to build this tool before?

It's a novel idea to get a quick and dirty rivet squeezer out of a $15 bolt cutter you might have lying around.

bolt1.gif

http://www.gunjunkie.net/index.php/Tech-Center/Bolt-Cutter-Rivet-Tools.html

Cool!

Wow, that's a great idea, I think I'll try it! Not as a replacement for my "real" rivet squeezer from Avery, but in addition to. A key difference between the two is the angle of the handles relative to the angle of the rivet. With the traditional rivet squeezer, the handles are more-or-less parallel to the rivet. With this modified bolt cutter idea, the handles are perpendicular to the rivet (kind of like an "alligator" pneumatic squeezer). Most of the time, the former is more convenient. But I've bumped into several situations where the former is impossible due to restricted access by a structure, etc., and something like this modified bolt cutter would solve the problem. A lot cheaper than an alligator squeezer, and that sounds good for the half a dozen rivets on the airplane for which I'll need it!

Neat idea but there is no adjustment for different material stackup thicknesses and the different associated rivet lengths...

I guess you could make for different tools to cover the common sizes

Neat idea but there is no adjustment for different material stackup thicknesses and the different associated rivet lengths...

I guess you could make for different tools to cover the common sizes

Or you could use simple shims of various thicknesses between the tool and the rivet.

typically used to build AK's

The modified bolt cutter squeezers are typically used to rivet AK 47's together using steel rivets... hardly a precise endeavor as many tutorials will suggest just using a hammer, flat plate to buck the round head, and a metal punch to form the shop head on those steel rivets...

I wouldn't put the bolt cutter based squeezer in the same category has my hand or pneumatic aviation rivet squeezers...

It was definately never meant to replace the hand or pnumatic squeezer. Just a cool idea to get something for those hard to reach places

Back