VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Default RV-xA towbar attach point question

I have an RV-8A. I didn't build it. I've never used (or needed) a towbar until now. I now have a tug in my hangar to use with the Baron, thus I have a towbar for which I can get adapters for the RV. (https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/vie...=unread#unread)

My RV, though, has the following on the nosegear attach point.
On the left side there is an AN bolt (about 3/4" head) and a stack of four flat washers (13/16" diameter).
On the right side there is a allen bolt and a stack of four smaller flat washers(all of which about 5/8" OD).

I can have a towbar adapter made to fit these two different sizes, but I'm thinking that my RV is non-standard (if there is any such thing). What kind of bolts do others have for nosegear attachment points? Should I just keep mine as is and get the towbar made to fit, or should I swap out my bolts and if so, for what kind of bolts?

Troy
RV-8A, purchased flying
Cessna 150F; Beech Baron B55
Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM

I'm thinking that the original Allen bolt was stripped out sometime in it's past and the hole was drilled & re-threaded for the larger bolt. I guess you could look into tapping out the hole for a Helicoil for the proper Allen bolt thread if you want...
Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Bogert

A common modification is these longer Bogert bolts/sleeves.
https://bogertaviation.com/collectio...va-tow-pin-kit
N70JT Reserved
Old 06-21-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tierney View Post
A common modification is these longer Bogert bolts/sleeves.
https://bogertaviation.com/collectio...va-tow-pin-kit
I have seen those Bogert tow pins referenced on another thread. Yet looking at the two pictures on their website I cannot tell to where they are intended to attach or how they are intended to function.
It may be possible that one of them would attach to my right side with the Allen bolt, but I would still need to modify the left side which has the AN bolt.
RV-8A, purchased flying
Cessna 150F; Beech Baron B55
Old 06-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
I'm thinking that the original Allen bolt was stripped out sometime in it's past and the hole was drilled & re-threaded for the larger bolt. I guess you could look into tapping out the hole for a Helicoil for the proper Allen bolt thread if you want...
Yep, same thought on this.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmillican View Post
I have seen those Bogert tow pins referenced on another thread. Yet looking at the two pictures on their website I cannot tell to where they are intended to attach or how they are intended to function.
It may be possible that one of them would attach to my right side with the Allen bolt, but I would still need to modify the left side which has the AN bolt.
Look at DWG C1, area B7. Where it says "11/16 hole in U-813A for Allen screw"? Also referenced in area B-10, 3/8x24x3/4 Allen Screw, etc. That's the place where the Bogert pins go...in place of the Allen screw.

I have them, they work great (and are easy to remove thus allowing simple removal of the wheel pant when necessary).