What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nate's RV-8 Paint Schemes

I haven't built an RV yet, but that doesn't stop me from imagining what kind of livery I'm going to fit my RV in when I do.

Here are some schemes that I have come up with so far:

Let me know that you think, and I'm always open for suggestions.

Last edited:
Love the first but lose the Ferrari emblem. It's an airplane.

To be fair, the Ferrari emblem started out as WWI aircraft art:

plane.jpg

http://stocklogos.com/topic/history-ferrari-logo

Nate - what are you using to draw these schemes?

The black charger might look better without the shield around it - replacing the Ferrari corporate connection with a more historically-accurate aviation context. Maybe even scale up the size of the horse 20-25% to put more emphasis on it. Not sure if you want the logo to read "DARKHORSE" or "DARK(space)HORSE"?

In case you can't tell, I'm a fan of #1.

Dear nate i also prefer the first one but take care that black on top will take you washing the airplane all times, try to invert yelow whith black

Thanks for all the welcomes, and it seems that #1 is the clear favorite so far.

Nate - what are you using to draw these schemes?

The black charger might look better without the shield around it - replacing the Ferrari corporate connection with a more historically-accurate aviation context. Maybe even scale up the size of the horse 20-25% to put more emphasis on it. Not sure if you want the logo to read "DARKHORSE" or "DARK(space)HORSE"?

In case you can't tell, I'm a fan of #1.

I am using Photoshop CS2 to create these schemes. I also have 3DSMax, which I could potentially use to create a 3D RV and be able to render the scheme.

That sounds like a good idea as far as the nose art goes. Obviously nothing is finalized and I have plenty of time to consider these minor details.

Dear nate i also prefer the first one but take care that black on top will take you washing the airplane all times, try to invert yelow whith black

I may try that out.

KISS....

I haven't built an RV yet, but that doesn't stop me from imagining what kind of livery I'm going to fit my RV in when I do.

Let me know that you think, and I'm always open for suggestions.

Nate,
Take this as another comment from the cheap seats, but I have been in the RV world 20 plus years now and seen "a few" paint schemes.
If resale is even in your lower cross check someplace, the simpler and less personal, the better. I think a single color with maybe one or two decals rocks. It is also easier to market later...

V/R
Smokey

Hi Nate,

I agree with Smokey that a simple paint scheme is easier to sell when the time comes, but I have been thinking about repainting my -4 and really like scheme #1, perhaps with some of the suggestions of previous posters incorporated. I don't care much about resale value, at least now. (A -4 might be worth more parted out than sold as a flying aircraft, anyway.) Have you considered how you might "share" or "license" your artwork?

Dean
RV-4
Bolton, MA

But... if sale of you future baby doesn't cross your mind keep planning your favorite paint scheme. It helps to keep dreams alive. She will have your DNA I bet you would drill couple fingers and will sweat heavily over those fuel tanks. Just make sure she is painted before first flight :D

Hi Nate,

I agree with Smokey that a simple paint scheme is easier to sell when the time comes, but I have been thinking about repainting my -4 and really like scheme #1, perhaps with some of the suggestions of previous posters incorporated. I don't care much about resale value, at least now. (A -4 might be worth more parted out than sold as a flying aircraft, anyway.) Have you considered how you might "share" or "license" your artwork?

Dean
RV-4
Bolton, MA

I can work with you on adapting or creating a scheme for your -4 if you like. Message me for details.

But... if sale of you future baby doesn't cross your mind keep planning your favorite paint scheme. It helps to keep dreams alive. She will have your DNA I bet you would drill couple fingers and will sweat heavily over those fuel tanks. Just make sure she is painted before first flight :D

Selling any future RV-8 that I might build is the last thing on my mind. This plane is going to be mine, and the paint job will reflect just that.

Two more schemes exploring fastback options:

Is it just me or is this the funniest post ever? !!!

I see a real "Hot Shot Studley" pilot in the front seat with all the "Fighter Pilot" garb ...mask, helmet....

Then, in the back I see a "Hot Chick" with flowing hair and a regualr headset.

Really? I dont buy it �� Are you telling me she fell for the oldest trick in the book by wearing all the fighter pilot garb? :D

Great paint jobs

Is it just me or is this the funniest post ever? !!!

I see a real "Hot Shot Studley" pilot in the front seat with all the "Fighter Pilot" garb ...mask, helmet....

Then, in the back I see a "Hot Chick" with flowing hair and a regualr headset.

Really? I dont buy it �� Are you telling me she fell for the oldest trick in the book by wearing all the fighter pilot garb? :D

Great paint jobs

It's gotta work...it worked in TOP GUN and Hot Shots...what more proof could you possibly need? :D

Have to have a little imagination from time to time.

Last edited:
I thought Iron Eagle was a documentary? :confused:

Wait a minute. You mean it isn't? :eek:

By the way I vote for paint job #2 from the original post on page 1. But then seeing how I'll never have a P-51 of my very own I just tend to lean towards the warbird type paint jobs. :D

What program are you using?

I'm fooling around in Adobe Illustrator working on schemes for a fastback 8, but like your results much better.

That's a nice size rubber chicken launcher you have down there. Beats these guys for sure :D

Glo Customs does an oustanding job. After painting one ourselves I completely understand why they charge so much. There is a lot more involvement than just shooting the color.

Last edited:
Awesome paint job Tom...that blue looks amazing. 2+ years and my paint job from Glo still looks like it just came out of their booth.

I hope people are paying Nate for his renderings and ideas.

Well, now that I've finally acquired an RV-7 empennage, I'm having to switch gears. I came up with a couple of schemes that sort of embody an "adventure" feel. Let me know what elements you like.

Back