What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GREAT couple of weekends!

SeanB

Well Known Member
11-18 Today was a big day!!! Tracey (my bride) was awesome, once again, and volunteered to help me get the plane on its gear. I already had the tailwheel on. We got the engine hoist and a giant tow strap to the front of the plane. I weaved it thru the engine mount. Gotta admit, I was a little nervous as we started getting airborne off the fuselage dolly. Things could roll or pitch. Tracey jumped in and helped stabilize the front of the plane from rolling. I tried getting the first gear on, but I still had slight interference from the fuselage. Emergency action with the Dremmel took care of that. I was able to get the gear slipped into the socket, then get the bolt started. "Wahooo", exclaimed Tracey! I raced to the other side and had no interference. The leg went into place and again with the bolt. Another, "Wahoo"!

We took a minute to look at the sight of things and smiled. The back of the plane was still on the dolly, so I went back and easily lifted the aft fuselage. Tracey rolled the dolly, then the plane was on all three wheels for the first time ever! I was so excited and thankful Tracey was there for help and to share in the excitement. Couldn't have done it without her. I was so excited, I rolled the plane outside for many more looks.

Engine is next!

FP29112018A0001I.jpg

FP29112018A0001J.jpg

FP29112018A0001K.jpg

11-25 Decided to hang the engine....solo! Lots of good resources on VAF and online. Also, used the "bullets" to guide the lower bolts into the mounts. Can't imagine trying this without them. Also, had the Tail Mate to lift the aft of the plane level.

Don't know how many times I looked at this before I left for home. Very cool!

FP29112018A0001F.jpg

FP29112018A0001G.jpg

FP29112018A0001H.jpg

Last edited:
I remember when I put the gear on my 7 and rolled it out of the hanger for the first time. Great feeling! Super cool that your wife helps you. Looks great. Keep going. Joe

Oh one other thing, I waited to install my leg and wheel fairings till after my first flight. I wish I had installed them when I was at your stage of the build. Would have been easier. Joe

Last edited:
Exactly what I used. Priceless. I also let a few four letter words "fly" when on the last bolt. Took a dozen or so tries, even with the pins, to get that bolt.

Back