What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracking of Wing Aft Spar

asw20c

Well Known Member
I apologize if this has already been beat to death, but very soon I will be at the step where the rear spar is installed on the wings. The beef-up kit that addresses the cracked aft spar at the inboard aileron hinge (service bulletin 16-03-28) came with my wing kit so I'm just now getting started looking at the service bulletin instructions and comparing them to the wing kit instructions. The service bulletin instructions are written as though the wing has been completed and starts with inspecting for cracks, and if found a procedure for how to peel back the bits and pieces of the structure to make the repair. It isn't obvious to me yet where one of the steps in the service bulletin is supposed to dovetail into the wing kit instructions. In other words, what step of the service bulletin is the starting point for installing the beef-up kit into a slow-build wing, and where that fits into the wing kit instructions.

I apologize if this has already been beat to death, but very soon I will be at the step where the rear spar is installed on the wings. The beef-up kit that addresses the cracked aft spar at the inboard aileron hinge (service bulletin 16-03-28) came with my wing kit so I'm just now getting started looking at the service bulletin instructions and comparing them to the wing kit instructions. The service bulletin instructions are written as though the wing has been completed and starts with inspecting for cracks, and if found a procedure for how to peel back the bits and pieces of the structure to make the repair. It isn't obvious to me yet where one of the steps in the service bulletin is supposed to dovetail into the wing kit instructions. In other words, what step of the service bulletin is the starting point for installing the beef-up kit into a slow-build wing, and where that fits into the wing kit instructions.

I can't help you with the specifics of the RV-14 process, but as I was incorporating the SB into my RV-10 on the initial build, I basically considered what parts the SB was replacing, and worked out a sequence for myself. I agree the plans should probably be updated to reflect installation of the SB parts as part of the initial assembly.

The RV-10 and RV-14 procedures seemed to be very similar to me (I didn't read the -14 instructions carefully).

What I did was to hand-edit the plans and reference the SB in appropriate steps so that I was following "plans" during the rear spar build.

Do yourself a favor and look up posts here--there are a couple of places you will probably want to substitute flush rivets for the provided universal rivets. There is a possible interference issue on the aileron hinge bracket that is fixed by the substitution, and Van's has approved it, according to posts I have seen here.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have already answered one of my own questions. It seems my starting point is step 15 in the SB. Now I need to see where that fits into the wing plans.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have already answered one of my own questions. It seems my starting point is step 15 in the SB. Now I need to see where that fits into the wing plans.

The added parts attach with the rivets that attach the hinge bracket to the spar web so when you are ready to do that, add the two additional parts and rivet.

Back