What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

White Spars?

asw20c

Well Known Member
I recently received my wing kit. When inventorying the contents I noted that the spars were not a gold alodine color as I would have expected, but rather a "white-ish" color. Any idea what this is? Also, there are scratches in this coating between the rivets where apparently the squeezer that was used was dragged from one to the next. Any idea if this is cause for concern?

The spars are clear anodized, not gold like some of the other models. I noticed some light scratches and burnish marks on mine as well, but nothing concerning. Obviously I'm not sure how mine is compared to yours. If you're concerned about it you could maybe post some pics for others to review.

Confirmed. I called Van's this morning and they said the spars are clear anodized which leaves the "frosty" look (which looked white-ish to me). In addition, I learned that some of the nose ribs that arrived without the blue plastic and that were scratched may have received the scratches with one of Van's vendors that makes those parts. Those tight radii require a softer metal and subsequent heat treat, which is why they are done by a vendor; Van's doesn't have the heat treating equipment.
Van's was very helpful in providing feedback to my general questions.

Thanks

Thanks. I was kind of wondering the same thing about the spars. Also good info regarding the non-blue plastic nose ribs.

Back