What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

inspection covers

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
After the aircraft is flying there will come a time for maintenance or adjustments.
The RV14 is pretty good in that regard as there are not too many panels on the interior that have to be removed for regular maintenance. One area that I changed was the mid floor panel in the baggage area. It is held in place with 25 screws. This panel will have to be removed at least once a year, for the annual, so that you can inspect the rudder cables that run on either side of this tunnel.
However there is a mid bell crank on the forward end of this location may need some extra attention, adjustments, lube, etc.

Here is a picture of the 25 screw panel and you can see the bell crank in the forward end.

29xjkw0.jpg

Here is how I made a separate inspection panel. Take the original panel and mark a cut line where you want access. Before you cut the panel make a little tab piece that will join the two halves together. Lay it out and drill in place on the original panel. I chose three screws but two would have been fine. Now that you have drilled all the holes you can cut the original panel, clean up edges, dimple, nut plates etc. Because you did the lay out first before cutting the panel everything will line up perfectly

11se5vt.jpg

I chose to mount the tab on the smaller panel as when it is removed the tab will go with it and allow more access. This is a simple half hour project that will mean removing 11 screws rather then 25 when you need to get into this area.

2lw5g7.jpg

Back