What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

exhaust or oil leak

rwarre

Well Known Member
9pmhsk.jpg
[/IMG]

Trying to find where this black exhaust is coming from. Have had the cowling off and look everywhere on the engine but am at a standstill on what to do next. If this link doesn't work let me know.

How does the inside of the gear fairing look? Could it be oil that travelled down inside the fairing?

This is the standard look of mine. It is everything that is swirling around in the lower cowl, gets pushed down the leg fairing. Mix in a little dirt and dust and it can get pretty funky.

This is the standard look of mine. It is everything that is swirling around in the lower cowl, gets pushed down the leg fairing. Mix in a little dirt and dust and it can get pretty funky.

+1. Seems like most anything in the engine compartment ends up here. Mine does exactly the same thing.

Not to mention any oil that drips during an oil filter change...goes right into that nifty little "cup" made up of gussets on the mount/gear leg, and thence spends months working its way down the nosegear fairing to dribble out onto the nosegear wheelpant.

Glad to find out that I am not alone with this problem.

It is not a problem at all. It is just a badge of honor for those of us with the little wheel on the correct end!

Ever seen a tailwheel get ripped off on the edge of the pavement? It makes a little crud on the "forward wheel pant" quite forgiving with your tail swung way out over the grass :).

I've seen these same residue from a slipping alternator belt. Please take a close look at that belt. Proper tension is pretty important.

BR
Bill

I get oil residue in that same spot but never that black, or maybe I wipe it down more frequently. Recently I plugged the top of the nose gear fairing where it enters inside the bottom of the cowl and now have much less residue on top my nose wheel pant. So this is definitely "stuff" traveling out of the cowl, down the gear leg fairing and splattering on top the nose wheel fairing.

Back