What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduce Yourself

I've been around for a while, but somehow I missed this thread. What a great idea!

Name: Bruce Swayze
City: Portland, Oregon
Flying [nothing yet]
Configuration: RV-7A / Tipup Canopy
Engine: Lyc O-360
Prop: Will probably be a Catto 3-blade

I'm into this 6 years on my project so far, and I love every minute of it. I'm slower than many builders, but faster than some others. Not that any of that matters. My goal from the beginning was to build this project debt-free. So far, I own everything free and clear, and I hope to finish it up that way. But it does take a bit longer.

Here's where I'm at currently... we just finished installing my engine recently, and I'm moving forward on some firewall forward items, but also planning out my panel (Advanced Flight Systems!) and looking forward to getting into wiring and the final phases of the build. I have documented much of my work on my web site that a lot of you are familiar with, here: http://www.BrucesRV7A.com

I should mention that I'm not a licensed pilot yet. I'm a bit unusual in that I chose to build the airplane first. But I'm very happy with my decision! I hope to start flying this spring, as I finish up the last phases of the project.

I'm fortunate to live about 25 minutes from Vans, so it has been easy and really great to just go over there when I need something, and to pick up my various kits and all. If anyone is visiting Vans, I would welcome a visit to my shop as well. I'd like to meet you, swap ideas, you can look over my work and ask questions. Let me know! :)

Hi Chris, welcome to this GREAT forum.
Where are you in Switzerland? I'm building a RV-7 near Annecy in France, not far from Geneva. If you're not too far we could meet and discuss RV stuff around a coffee or beer. Let me know...
Alain.

Hi Alain
Nice to meet you here :). My shop will be located in the central part, not too far away from Lucerne. But my homebase is LSZG. So that is only a 45min. ride by a C172 to get to Annecy or Geneva airport. Let's try to keep in touch.
I am specifically interested how European builders cope with US and metric units and where to purchase US based tools somewhere overhere. Vans has listed a European tool kit supplier in Italy.http://www.planesfactory.it. Do you have any experience with that one?

Regards
Chris

Email

Hi Alain
Nice to meet you here :). My shop will be located in the central part, not too far away from Lucerne. But my homebase is LSZG. So that is only a 45min. ride by a C172 to get to Annecy or Geneva airport. Let's try to keep in touch.
I am specifically interested how European builders cope with US and metric units and where to purchase US based tools somewhere overhere. Vans has listed a European tool kit supplier in Italy.http://www.planesfactory.it. Do you have any experience with that one?

Regards
Chris

Chris,
Send me an email with your phone or mobile number to alainvanseveren"at"gmail.com it will be easier...

New -7 owner

Name: Bud Keil
City: Tucson, AZ
Configuration: RV-7
Engine: O-360, Sensenich fixed pitch prop

Introduction: Recently moved to Tucson from SoCal and really enjoy the local flying. I got my private and instrument ticket in Chino and my glider rating here in Tucson. I just purchased a flying RV-7 with Dynon D10 EFIS and EMS and autopilot. I am looking forward to flying around the area, particularly Sedona, Monument Valley, Page, and Moab.

N5874P

Danny Holder
Cookeville, TN
RV 7
Started April 2012
Hours to date 965
Finishing fuselage Kit (regular kit - no QB):)

I missed this thread too...

Somehow I missed this thread too... I've been building for almost 7 years. I'm not very fast - I spend lots of time thinking about how I want to do the next step, etc.!

Name: Melinda Harrill
City: Columbia, SC
Configuration: RV-7 / Slider Canopy
Engine: Barrett Precision built Superior IO-360 with Airflow Performance fuel injection
Prop: Whirlwind constant-speed RV200
Introduction: See above.
Pilot photo: See above!
Web page: No, I keep an old-fashioned spiral notebook and take pictures from time to time! But I do appreciate all the other builders' sites that I have used!!:)

Name: chuck davis
City: silver plume, co
Engine: xp io360
Prop: rv200
Been looking and stealing from this forum ( have paid my dues, haven't contributed...first post...sorry) but it's an incredible wealth of knowledge! Ask a question and an expert from any field will respond....been following brantel's panel rebuild and am amazed...I vaguely remember ohms law from high school, let alone thinking about protocol??? WOW... I bet my build is the highest build (11,000 feet), yet somebody from Leadville will probably chime in and take that!:). I've been trying my hand at painting, watching you tube videos from the experts and like anything, they make it look soo easy...just a swoosh and there is a perfect, glass smooth, finished job...well I have the swoosh, but nothing else...
Thanks everyone,

Check, look for "Rv Builders and Flyers of Colorado" on FB. We have a good group of people that get together for bs and fun! I go past you a couple times a month. I would love to stop by sometime and see your build. Glad you let us know you are there!

Wow.

Welcome to VAF, Chuck. Do you have to use oxygen while you're building?:)

What kinda DA does your location have in the summer?

Best,

Name: JOHN CANTY
City: BUFFALO, NY
Started flying in 1998 @ 14 yrs old. Now 30 with instrument, CPL, and 490 hrs. logged!
Configuration: RV-7 /Tip-up Canopy
Engine: IO 360
Prop: C/S

Facts about me: I work in finance. I'm the proud father of two young boys (3.5 yrs and 9 months). My wife is very supportive (so far..) of my crazy idea to build!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Planning to buy or finish a build

Name: Tim Baynes
City: Southwest Missouri
Status: I'm looking to buy a completed plane, or possibly finish one out.
Configuration: RV-7, still thinking about canopy preferences
Engine: Prefer injected, 200hp
Prop: Prefer composite C/S

I'm entering aviation (as a pilot) at age 50, having spent a great deal of time flying with my dad when I was younger, and then amassing 3+ million miles flying commercially as a passenger. It's time to get my own darn plane.

I have a small company, and will primarily use the plane as my personal commuter to project sites up to 1,000 miles from home. I expect to acquire a twin at some point in the next 2-3 years, but for now I want a fast and efficient aircraft to use for VFR commuting and to work towards an IFR rating. And, ultimately, to use as my personal aircraft when I retire in a few years.

I'd love to build a plane from kit, but that will have to wait for retirement. So I'm looking to buy a completed plane, or perhaps find one in very late build stage to finish up. I hope that qualifies me for membership here.

Name: Dean M. Cole
City: Houston, TX
Configuration: Debating RV-7 vs. RV-7A / Tip-up Canopy vs. Slider Canopy
Engine: Leaning towards low time/overhauled IO-360 or New Superior XP IO-360
Prop: Hertzel CS

New member. While I am a commercial pilot, I'm new to the RV world. Just purchased my tool set from Cleveland (added DRDT-2 and pneumatic squeezer). Planning to spend the next few weeks prepping my garage. Then I intend to purchase an RV-7 empennage kit mid-March-ish. Review plans and practice kit are scheduled for delivery today. I'm chomping on the bit.

I was a military helicopter mechanic prior to becoming a pilot. However, I will be looking for help and suggestions. I have limited experience with sheet-metal, (that was a specialized job in the army).

I work a rotating 14 day on and 14 day off schedule, (Gulf of Mexico helicopter pilot), so my annual 183 days off will allow lots of time to work on the project. Can't wait.

I'm planning to track my progress on my Author's Blog website:
www.DeanMCole.com
(when I'm not flying, wrenching, or riding, I'm also a sci-fi novelist.)

IMAGE_FB04ACC2-1A0E-4546-81A6-3C45FCE79512.JPG

Welcome Dean, to the finest RV site on the planet.

With your A&P skills and enthusiasm, you shouldn't have a problem.

Best,

Name: John Anderson
City: Lincoln, California
Configuration: RV-7 / Undecided on canopy
Engine: O-360
Prop: TBD

Introduction: My dad first introduced me to the RV line of kit planes when I was probably about 12 years old. He said he always wanted to build one, but it just never happened. I left for college and thought regularly about how cool it would be to build my own airplane. During my Junior year of college, I ordered the preview plans for the RV-7. Four years later, I haven't done much beyond skimming the preview plans. But now I've finally decided to go for it. I don't think there is anything else in the world that would make me happier than owning my own airplane, and to be able to say I built it would be the icing on the cake. I've been set on the RV-7 since the beginning and can't wait to get started. I am currently deployed with the Air Force, but when I return I plan to order my tools, visit Van's and purchase my empennage kit. I'm sure I'll be looking to all you RVators out there for support over the next few years... especially any builders/owners in the Sacramento area. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Cheers,
- John

Introductions

Name: Larry Larson
City, ST: Estes Park, CO
Status: Shop done, Vans tool box done, Vans Practice kit #1 done, lots of scrap riveted.
Configuration: 7a, slider
Engine: IO 360
Prop: FP

Introduction: Like many, I got the bug early. Dad bought a ride in a float plane in Minnesota. I was hooked. The parents were not financially able to fund a pilots license and life took hold with school, marriage and kids so the license waited. I got my PPSEL in 2007. I've built or restored all sorts of things so home built was the only way to go. A ride in a friend's 7a with full glass WAAS closed the deal. I bought the tail un-started and a set of tools from a friend. It's time to get going. Here is my builder log.
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com

Hi John,

Welcome to VAF and the fantastic world of RV's ... I started my RV-7 back in November, and now am finishing up the empennage kit now ... just the fiberglassing left. It's an absolute blast to be building your own plan ... enjoy!

-Bill

Hi

Name: Mike Sweeney
Town: Shrewsbury
Status: Emp complete, Wings 3/4 built (just waiting for it to get warmer to finish the tanks).
Configuration: 7 slider
Engine: XIO-360
Prop: Hartzel CS
Panel: undecided but will be glass with A/P. Dynon or Garmin I think but depends on which has the best mapping for UK and Europe.

I've wanted my own RV from as far back as 1995, after reading about them in a magazine. I joined a group and we built a 9A which I still fly, however, the group wanted to fit an aero Diesel engine, and it just isn't fast enough and doesn't allow the potential of the airframe to shine (max cruise 100kts). So now I'm building my own, although my friend might go 50/50 with me.
I'm lucky to have a workshop next door, so I can put in an hour or two at the drop of a hat, and spend all day in there with lunch provided by my good lady!
The downside of the workshop is that it used to be a barn, so has no heat at all....
Work has stopped until it warms up a bit because although I can keep warm, handling cold-soaked tools or metal just isn't that much fun.

I'm ex-RAF Air Traffic Control and now work at Liverpool airport as a controller. I've been flying since I was 17; gliding until 1995, then powered stuff since then.
One engine failure with a forced landing in a field and a partial failure with a limp back to an airfield with 50' to spare - these can freak you out a bit but you get over them.

I don't have a blog but will post my progress and may put some stuff on Facebook (depends on how much time it takes;I'd rather be building)!

Welcome to the group, Harvey! My wife still keeps up with a third grade pen pal who lives in Essington, just north of Wolverhampton, about 45 minutes east of you. It's been about 7 years since we've visited, and Karen's been making noise about a trip across the pond sometime soon. If/when we do, maybe we can make time for a visit.:cool:

Sure. The $\£ ratio isn't too bad for you at the moment. We live just 2 miles west of Sleap airfield (under the downwind leg), so you could visit, stay if you wanted to and visit the airfield. I could have my 9A up there for a stooge around the local area too!

Mike

Name: Rick Coates
City: Calgary
Configuration: RV-7 / Slider Canopy (at least for now)
Engine: intending to use an IO360 perhaps the Aerosport version
Prop: Hartzel C/S (?)

Introduction: I originally got my private pilots license some 23 years ago and after a long hiatus I finally got back into flying again in the fall of 2011. My reason for building was initially to find a way out of the limitations of renting by building and paying as I go, even if the time frame gets dragged out a little. Pleasantly I have found that building is fun in its own right too. Early days I know but still it is a good start. I am building out of a two car attached garage, and have a wife who is very supportive despite absolutely no interest in flying... perhaps one of my two young daughters will eventually. I do have a blog shown below as I have been inspired by several of you who have great sites, unfortunately mine will never be as good! If I may as someone just starting out, I would like to pass on thanks to those of you who have shared your adventures to the eyes of strangers like me, it truly helps inspire and provide that initial confidence to commit. Also Bob Collins from St.Paul, your you-tube videos have also helped me jump into this too (If you read this I hope you have found a way to keep the plane).

Member of EAA chapter 1410 High River, Alberta, Canada

Pilot photo: I will spare you all... I am not graced with true "pilot" good looks... :)

Web page: http://fly4funcanada.blogspot.ca/

Name: Michael Albert

I'm in.

No time to write more. Need to build my plane.

Name: Greg Blakey
City: Sale.....(220klm East of Melbourne)
Configuration: RV-7A / Tip-up Canopy
Engine: Mattituck, IOF-360 M1B (FADEC)
Prop: WhirlWind 200RV

I missed this thread for whatever reason though began my build in August 2003. First flight July 2011 with no issues to report. Absolutely love the performance of the plane and still get a buzz every time I sit in it. Flew from Melbourne to Cairns last year to take my 80 year old mother for a ride. (She made me deliver on an old promise) Cruise performance is a comfortable 165kts TAS at 8,500' delivering 29 litres per hour usage with the FADEC. My intention over the coming year is to install a GTN650 GPS , upgrade the plane to IFR and complete my IFR ticket. A highlight through the build was to attend Mike Seager's conversion training in Vernonia and a visit to the Vans Factory.

Picture below is at Gatton Airpark (Martin Hone) in QLD Australia on trip from Melbourne to Cairns with Son Daniel.

dsc01354v.jpg

Last edited:
Name: Brian Walters
Engine: Still trying to decide:D I would like FADEC if possible.
Prop: depends on engine

I'm still working on my pilots license so it will be a bit before I get my RV but I am thinking about ordering the empennage kit sometime next year.

welcome

Welcome Brian. Good choice.
Keep an eye on the VAF Classifieds. 7 empennage kits pop up at good prices. Tools too!
You can save a lot. Both are small enough to store till you are ready to build.

A fellow Canadian builder yaaaaahh!

Hello Rick:

My name is Dave and I am building an RV 7 as well. nice to someone else in Alberta doing the same thing.

Dave C

Name: Rick Coates
City: Calgary
Configuration: RV-7 / Slider Canopy (at least for now)
Engine: intending to use an IO360 perhaps the Aerosport version
Prop: Hartzel C/S (?)

Introduction: I originally got my private pilots license some 23 years ago and after a long hiatus I finally got back into flying again in the fall of 2011. My reason for building was initially to find a way out of the limitations of renting by building and paying as I go, even if the time frame gets dragged out a little. Pleasantly I have found that building is fun in its own right too. Early days I know but still it is a good start. I am building out of a two car attached garage, and have a wife who is very supportive despite absolutely no interest in flying... perhaps one of my two young daughters will eventually. I do have a blog shown below as I have been inspired by several of you who have great sites, unfortunately mine will never be as good! If I may as someone just starting out, I would like to pass on thanks to those of you who have shared your adventures to the eyes of strangers like me, it truly helps inspire and provide that initial confidence to commit. Also Bob Collins from St.Paul, your you-tube videos have also helped me jump into this too (If you read this I hope you have found a way to keep the plane).

Member of EAA chapter 1410 High River, Alberta, Canada

Pilot photo: I will spare you all... I am not graced with true "pilot" good looks... :)

Web page: http://fly4funcanada.blogspot.ca/

New RV-7 builder, Second time builder

Name: Marc & Nadine Parmelee
City: Austin, TX
Status: Starting Tail Section / Building [0 hours] / Flying [700 hours]
Configuration: RV-7A / Slider Canopy
Engine: O-360 w/Airflow Performance Injection, Pmags
Prop: Catto
Introduction: My wife and I built a Cozy MKIV 15 years ago that is still flying.
Pilot photo: http://www.marcnadine.com/The_Cozy/The_Cozy.html
Our Porsche Spider build: http://www.marcnadine.com/The_Porsche.html
Web page: Marcnadine.com
http://marcnadine.com/Travel_Photos/Pages/The_Cozy.html#14

Last edited:
Bought an unfinished 7a kit

Hello to all. Well I made the plung and bought an unfinished 7a kit. The tail and wings are done. I am happy with the quality of the work done so far. I plan to build it as a 7 as there is little work done on the fuse. I will be selling 7a parts that I will not need. I plan on joining the local eaa chapter here in northern Virginia. I hope to meet local builders. So if your local to Virginia sent me a message. Ok well, I look forward to getting to know everyone. Joe Pfaff

Looking into the VAF

Name: Kristian Timmons
City: Fort Collins, Co
Configuration: Tail dragger with a sliding canopy
Engine: looking for an IO360

Introduction: Currently a USAF Nav on the mighty C-130. Wanting to transition into civilian aviation. My wife lives a long ways away and this could help me build hours and enjoy myself. I've decided to look into a RV-7 and should be buying this year sometime.

Welcome to VAF!

Kristian, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

Thanks for your service
patriot.gif

welcome

Welcome to VAF and welcome to the neighborhood. I'm building an RV7a right up the road from you in Estes Park.
Thank you for your service.
Actually off building for a few days to refinish the deck.:eek:
Having builder withdrawals. :D

Last edited:
Name: Phil
City: St. Louis, Mo

Intro: I was a first officer at a regional airline for 7 years. Commuting and low pay made me decide to pursue other options and I found a job as a simulator instructor preparing students for type ratings in the plane I used to fly. The prospect of flying for fun again is exciting to me and I've always wanted to be more hands on. I have an ATP as well as CFI and II.

I'm leaning towards an RV-7 because I like the performance numbers a bit more than the 9 and might want to do the occasional roll. It will probably be equipped for IFR and that's about as far as my thought process has gone.

This site is a great resource. Thanks for sharing. The only thing I would like is some good pictures of workshops. That's the biggest hurdle for me right now because our home only has a single-car garage.

welcome

Welcome.
I have a few photos in my builder log but it's a two car. See link in sig.
I know there are some here who have done it in a single.
Completed parts get stored inside in all sorts of places.
You can do it!

Wirejock,

Thanks! Nice build. I am enjoying looking through everyone's pictures. Out of curiosity did you take any eaa classes or work with anybody that is building an aircraft to learn some of the skills needed or did you just do the toolbox and training set from vans?

builder class

Wirejock,

Thanks! Nice build. I am enjoying looking through everyone's pictures. Out of curiosity did you take any eaa classes or work with anybody that is building an aircraft to learn some of the skills needed or did you just do the toolbox and training set from vans?

Thanks. Come up anytime. Hopefully you won't notice all the mistakes!:eek:

I really wanted to take the EAA class but the dates available were months ahead and my impatience got the best of me. I built the tool box first solo. It's pretty embarrassing. A local builder offered assistance (Dave Paule) and I jumped at the opportunity. His build is on VAF "My RV build project" forum. After some mentor time with Dave, I built the control surface training project. It came out marginally acceptable. Basically more practice was required.

There are lots of tips here. My advise is find a local builder and get your hands dirty. It will save you tons of frustration. I learned more in an hour with him than anywhere else. I am happy to share my meager knowledge if you are interested. There is also an EAA chapter at KFNL. I don't know if there are any Vans in production though.

Build at least part of one of the training pieces with that mentor. Build both if possible then critique the work. Then buy some scrap and rivets and go to town. Drill, dimple, rivet then drill them out and repeat. Just like the instructions on the shampoo bottle.:D

Most of the process is pretty intuitive and instructions are good.

Learning to use the tools and some of the tricks is the immeasurable part. I have to thank Dave Paule for sharing his knowledge with me.

I would be happy to share (pay it forward) in any way I can and always welcome a second pair of hands. I am by no means an expert. Mine are still learning and thankfully making fewer mistakes. I will say I am having a ball building. It's fun.

Feel to e-mail me. See sig below. I'll reply with my cell.

If that beautiful part of the country weren't 15+ hours and a time zone away I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Again, thanks for the info.

ooops

If that beautiful part of the country weren't 15+ hours and a time zone away I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Again, thanks for the info.

Doh! I didn't look at your location. Still a good reason for a road trip. Stop by on the way to Vans.

Name: Ivan Luke
City: Hope Valley, Rhode Island
Status:Building. About 18 months into the project, emp. completed, well along with the wings
Configuration: RV-7 Slider Canopy
Engine: Leaning toward a new O-360
Prop: Undecided

Introduction: I'm retired Coast Guard, now a civilian employee of the Navy in Newport, RI. Built a Kitfox years ago, but have been out of aviation for a while. Finally have both the time and wherewithall to build an RV, something I've wanted to do for a long, long, time.

Back