What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 - upgraded pitot

jmcanty3

I'm eying up an already-built RV-6 to fly around while I am building my -7. It has a pretty solid VFR set up, but I would eventually want to upgrade it to IFR. To do so would require a new heated pitot. It currently has an simple unheated unit with no electrical.

As I have not yet installed the pitot on my -7 build, I have no clue about the difficulties posed in installing a new pitot on a flying RV-6. Anyone have any insight as to what kind of job this would be?

Thanks,
John

I'm eying up an already-built RV-6 to fly around while I am building my -7. It has a pretty solid VFR set up, but I would eventually want to upgrade it to IFR. To do so would require a new heated pitot. It currently has an simple unheated unit with no electrical.

As I have not yet installed the pitot on my -7 build, I have no clue about the difficulties posed in installing a new pitot on a flying RV-6. Anyone have any insight as to what kind of job this would be?

Thanks,
John

Not terribly hard to do. The pitot mast installs to the side of the access panel. Some few rivets and screws can get it done. The hardest part is cutting the hole without tearing up the paint and getting your hands in there to work. If there is conduit installed, the wire shouldn't be that bad. If not you may have to get creative.

View of the inside:
FP19102009A0001Z.jpg

Outside:
FP19102009A00020.jpg

Back