What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TSO vs non-TSO instruments

dicel87

Well Known Member
I have been looking around for instruments and have run across these phrases. What is the difference? And is one better for an RV?

Thanks
Scott

Wow,

Talk about asking a loaded question? I can almost feel the flames rising already!!!

Anyone who actually knows what they are talking about here is ENCOURAGED to jump in and question and/or insult my intelligence. I'd love to finally figure out how it really works!

I have a very limited understanding of the real workings of TSO'd parts, but the the net-net of the regs are such that Part 91 operations, including operations under IMC conditions DO NOT REQUIRE TSO'd parts. Certain commercial operations do, but we do not!

Now, as to whether they are better? As I understand it, TSO's are specifications, very tightly defined for a particular part:

Altimeters,
Gyros
GPS - Enroute,
GPS - Approach,
Seat belts,
NAV/COMM's, etc.

I believe that the certificaton process for the actual manufacturer is a simlar process to that of ISO certification, requiring detailed practices, QA/QC, etc. Many manufacturers produce both a TSO'd and non-TSO'd version of the same item. I suspect there is very little difference between the two, and does little more than provide an option to charge a little more for one, while not killing the market when trying to compete with the non-TSO'd competitors.

Other manufacturers don't even bother with a TSO (ICOM IC-200 COMM was not available in a TSO'd version until just recently), but just state that the unit is manufactured to the TSO specification.

Is it? Maybe.
Is it as good as the TSO'd unit? Possibly.
Could it be better than a TSO'd unit? Might well be.
Is there any guarantee of it's quality? Nope, other than the manufacturers warranty and track record.

Are the Chinese import Gyro's (Falcon, I believe) as good as the US made ones? Ask 4 people and you might well get 4 different answers (Figure that one out!). It really comes down to which instruments you're talking about, your flying profile, and the "pucker factor" you're willing to live with!

There are a bunch of people out there that would not even consider saving $3000 on their gyros and flight instruments even though they fly nothing but VMC, while there are others willing to fly behind a NON-FAA approved (let alone TSO'd) glass panel that cost less than $3000 in hard IMC!!!

Go figure! Strictly a matter of choice!

Dave

Back