What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin AVMAP vs. G5

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
Garmin G5 vs. AVMAP Ultra

I just picked up the Garmin G5 yesterday but today I saw the AVMAP Ultra and it looks like it does everything the G5 does and more and it costs less and comes with it's own externally mounted GPS antenna. No back-up battery, but I'm ok with that.

Can someone tell me what the differences are and when one would chose one over the other?

I want to hold off on installing my G5 until I'm sure that was the right choice. I might still be able to return/ exchange it for the AVMAP.

My mission, something simple, inexpensive to replace my mechanical gyro instruments for VFR only. I don't need anything fancy. I do need easy to install, and user friendly and fits into my existing 3 1/8" instrument hole. Thanks.

I didn't look carefully when I wrote this post and thought that the AVMAP Ultra was also a Garmin product. It's not - so I guess I'll just stick with my G5. But just out of curriosity, ss anyone using the AVMAP or know much about it? It looks like a great competitor to the G5.

Last edited:
I currently have a Trutrak Gemini PFD. Very similar to the G5 and works great, but considering the Garmin G5 because it has a battery backup for IFR backup use. Could be interested in a trade - Gemini and cash for your G5.

Farming G5

Had a conversation with an avionics shop today. I was told if you already have the G5 for around 2200.00 more you can have a full Garmin autopilot.
All mounting brackets, servos, autopilot control panel, connectors.
Auto level if you loose the aircraft.

Back