What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter kickback

johnfurey

Well Known Member
On my IO-360 M1B with WW200 prop I will occasionally get a strong kickback when I first engage the starter. When I hit the starter button again it has always spun the engine fine. I recently found that the ring gear had several teeth damaged so I had to replace it. I thought it was an ignition problem causing the kickback but after having V40 update on my PMags and verifying they are indeed firing after TDC I am now looking for other possibilities. The starter goes up against a compression stroke and kicks back then the next try spins through it. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I had the same issue with my IO-360 and 200RV propeller with the SkyTec 149-12LS starter. In fact, I had a such a back kickback it broke the housing of the starter. I switched to the 149-NL starter and haven't experienced the issue since.

The ring gear is easily replaced and relatively inexpensive.
http://www.skytecair.com/images/PDF/SI1141_A.pdf

I have the NL starter also. Yes the ring gear isn't too bad but taking the prop off and back on is a pain.

John,

One of the symptoms of me getting a kickback was the original LS starter was dying a slow death and turning the prop slower and slower with each start. My guess is you may have either a starter issue, battery issue or something in between (wiring, starter solenoid - they do go bad).

Easiest thing to swap out is the battery and starter if you have a friend with an extra one (or a local builder who doesn't mind lending you one). I was SHOCKED at how much faster a new starter turned over my engine when I swapped it out.

Back