What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition Inspection Questions

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere.
I'm prepping for my first condition inspection next month. (Can't believe it's been a year already).
I've looked at a quite a few checklists. On a few, there's mention of draining the oil and pulling the sump, and on some there's not.
Is pulling the sump off the bottom of the engine standard prectice? This would obviously entail having to replace the gasket and in my opinion creates an opppotunity for a leak on re-install...
Also, is draining the oil and filter normal, even if you are not due for an oil change?

Thanks...

Pulling the sump? I've never heard of that.

There is a sump screen that I always pull and inspect when I change the oil. Maybe that's what you've seen.

no pulling the sump is not something that should be done on a condition inspection. what should be pulled is the finger screen in the sump. the nut with the crush washer and safety wire on it. there is a screen on the back side of that nut that should be checked. install an new crush washer and safety wire when reinstalling it.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Even though you have a repairman certificate that allows you to perform your own condition inspection, I highly recommend that everyone hire an A&P to go through their first annual condition inspection with them.
Yes, you built it and know every part, but you have been looking at it through the same set of eyes from day one. There is nothing like a new set of eyes to look it over.

Walt & I were talking about this just the other day. It is not at all uncommon to find discrepancies that have been overlooked for years by having the same inspector inspect every year.

Last edited:
no pulling the sump is not something that should be done on a condition inspection. what should be pulled is the finger screen in the sump. the nut with the crush washer and safety wire on it. there is a screen on the back side of that nut that should be checked. install an new crush washer and safety wire when reinstalling it.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Exactly right.

Even though you have a repairman certificate that allows you to perform your own condition inspection, I highly recommend that everyone hire an A&P to go through their first annual condition inspection with them.
Yes, you built it and know every part, but you have been looking at it through the same set of eyes from day one. There is nothing like a new set of eyes to look it over.

Walt & I were talking about this just the other day. It is not at all uncommon to find discrepancies that have been overlooked for years by having the same inspector inspect every year.

Many folks are often quite surprised at the number of discrepancies I find during a condition inspection. As the builder, you are probably the least objective person to be doing the inspection.
More than likely you will continue to overlook the same mistakes you made when you built it.

I'll throw an exactly right on this and Walt's ditto also. I'm amazed how many issues I find on planes that have been signed off several to many times before. Getting an experienced set of impartial eyes is a good idea.

And I will add my 2 thumbs up to Mel, Walt, and Jesses' comments.
Building an airplane teaches you a lot of new skills, but it does not teach you how to inspect one.
The things that an experienced A&P can teach you are invaluable and they will likely find things that an original builder never will.
I cover this in the Condition Inspection presentation that I give occasionally.
In the presentation I strongly encourage people to get assistance at least for the first one. Having someone else do a quick look over every year. after they have done their work is a good idea also.

Back