What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floor panel access panels?

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Just finishing up my annual CI, and as always, I'm sore as can be from getting in and out of the plane a bazillion times, AND having to deal with taking off the d*mned seat pans just to inspect things and lube the ball joints. I got to thinking...has anyone ever made small access panels in these things, so you just have to remove a small cover or panel to get to what you need to inspect and/or lube? Similarly, I find having to take out the flap rod covers a pain...same thing...why not put a small access panel there, that could be removed with 4 screws, lube the rod end, check the bolt/nut, inspect any wiring, and close it back up?

I wouldn't want to compromise safety by missing something I should inspect, but really...taking the whole floor uip just to check wires and spray some LPS-2? It's *killing me* :)

I agree!

What does the VAF community think about the idea of using cam locks instead of screws to attach the seat pans? It probably would require a lot of retro fit work but might be a "great mod" in the long run!

What does the VAF community think about the idea of using cam locks instead of screws to attach the seat pans? It probably would require a lot of retro fit work but might be a "great mod" in the long run!

I suspect that would get a big downward vote because of the structural aspect of the seat pans/ribs. I thought of that, too, but I'd worry about the strength and mechanical engineering aspects of changing from screws and nutplates to camlocks...

Be interesting to hear what people think, though...

I suspect that would get a big downward vote because of the structural aspect of the seat pans/ribs. I thought of that, too, but I'd worry about the strength and mechanical engineering aspects of changing from screws and nutplates to camlocks...

Be interesting to hear what people think, though...

This would certainly be my response. Cam locks can be nice for non-structural items, but I would not consider them a good replacement for screws. In many cases, I would not consider screws a good replacement for rivets either. I would think the number and size of screws to replace the number and type of rivets determines the suitability. I'm just an accountant, though, not an engineer.

Just finishing up my annual CI, and as always, I'm sore as can be from getting in and out of the plane a bazillion times, AND having to deal with taking off the d*mned seat pans just to inspect things and lube the ball joints. I got to thinking...has anyone ever made small access panels in these things, so you just have to remove a small cover or panel to get to what you need to inspect and/or lube? Similarly, I find having to take out the flap rod covers a pain...same thing...why not put a small access panel there, that could be removed with 4 screws, lube the rod end, check the bolt/nut, inspect any wiring, and close it back up?

I wouldn't want to compromise safety by missing something I should inspect, but really...taking the whole floor uip just to check wires and spray some LPS-2? It's *killing me* :)
I also despise the way the seat pans come off, especially since you usually have to leave them off for a period of time while climbing around the cabin. They almost always get slightly bent or worse during this process and seldom go back on as easily as they came off. Smaller access panels would be nice. I would personally use an access panel like used for the stall warning access panel or some variation thereof. The screw size and spacing on those should be adequate if you don't make too many access panels.

Back