What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Nickel LE to a Catto Prop

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Hey I just wanted to ask everybody's opinion, I am buying a catto three bladed prop and it does not have a nickel leading edges.

Does anybody know if it's possible to send it back in and get the leading edges put on it. I emailed Catto but I did not get a reply yet. I tried calling but I call just after business hsd closed.

Thanks,

X

I asked him this question while visiting his shop a couple of years ago. He told me his newer nickel leading edge props contain more carbon in order to prevent natural frequency induced vibration issues when coupled with the nickel leading edge. I opted for the thin plastic tape "rain guard" on my 2007 vintage Catto. I've flown through rain on a number of occasions and haven't seen any signs of erosion.

I too have a vintage prop, from 2005. I used the prop guard tape from ACS. It lasted about 6-7 years and worked very well. ACS no longer sells it.

I purchased Catto's prop guard, but have not installed it yet. It closely resembles the prop guard brand as you apply it with a 2 part epoxy.
You won't find it on Catto's product list. You need to ask for it. I believe it was around $75.

Last edited:
That sure is a pretty prop

Yeah, but, they're gonna want to run it for 45 days.

Sorry, that was too easy.

Stopped at Westover Field today to pick the RV-6 up that I bought. It has a Catto Prop without the Nickel LE. Catto was about three hangars away, Craig stopped in and verified which prop was on my first RV-6.

Mine is an older version and cannot be refitted. Craig did apply some tape and said that will work.

BTW-Craig is awesome! Had a chance to talk with him and see some of his newer designs. Wow! Cool looking model on his RV-6.

Enjoying my visit to Jackson, tomorrow should finish up on my required CFI time to qualify for insurance.

Back