What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

short oil fill tube

Short filler tube?

Looking for the same. Just purchased an 0-320 D3G for my -4 which has the long (?) oil filler tube. I know it's possible to cut them down but perhaps a replacement would be better!

There are several depending on the model. Which model O-320 do you have?

For the common -D1A, the short tube is the 75735, but the parts manual doesn't say which dipstick is short, intermediate of long. Weird.

Dave

Okay, I called Lycoming. There are 1.125 diameter threads and 1.25 diameter threads.

For the 1.125 diameter threads, the LW-14793 dipstick is the shortest one. It uses the 75735 tube and the 74068 O-ring.

The long dipstick is the LW-14758 with the 75736 tube - call Lycoming to check the tube thread if you're getting this one, I'm not sure of its thread.

I believe but didn't confirm this, that these are all 8 quart dipsticks.

Lycoming's service number is 1-800-258-3279 from 8 AM to 5 PM (Eastern Time) Monday - Friday.

Dave

Lycoming short dip stick

I made my aluminum dip stick housing shorter by cutting it to the length I wanted and TIG welding it together. Then recalibrated the dip stick to the actual number of quarts of oil in the sump -one quart at a time ;)

Back