What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Behind the panel avionics placement

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I need some mounting or arrangement suggestion, ie mounting locations and/or brackets I can make. So far I have only had to cut a single hole into my subpanel for my GTN 650. Decided to jump on in and go ahead and get those trays and the wiring harness into the plane.

So here's what I have shown in the picture with a bit of painters tape holding everything in an approximate place I think would accommodate space and with my Stein harness.

Not sure if the picture shows it but I cut a number of scrap angle pieces that I have the VPX and GTR 20 sitting on. This is just to have a place to put things on, however I can easily make these into some type of permanent mounting solution.

- For the VPX, my thought is to use the existing brackets and bolt one to the subpanel flange and make a little extension piece to cover the gap aft to panel flange. Locate it somewhere in the middle that's easy to get to and for maintenance I can remove the center console cover and get to it fairly easy without having to take out a PFD or MFD.

- The GTR 20 I would use those angels and mount then on the panel/subpanel flange flat side up. Then I can just bolt the GTR 20 in... or do it opposite and bolt the GTR 20 up onto the 'rails'.

- I would mount the IBBS a bit higher than it's shown in the picture, but this location should be able to accommodate the harness lead. Does it make more sense to but this on the back side of the subpanel?

- The GEA24/29 need to be close because of the harness. Thought about putting the 29 behind the subpanel but don't want to strain the wiring harness. It's still an option though.

- GD40 will work out fine where I have it. Easiest of all to install it looks like.

- GTX45R you can barely see, I'll just figure out a way with angles and mount it similar to how I'm mounting the GTR 20.

- Fuse box can go on the far left, or the far right. Just want to be able to get to it from underneath. Do not want to take out avionics to get to this thing.

- The grounding tab would work nice somewhere in the middle like where I have it.

Last edited:
Space

Can you utilize the space behind the right removable panel? I installed my ground tabs on the right side and made a hinged drop down for my fuse blocks and power converter also on the right side.

Can you utilize the space behind the right removable panel? I installed my ground tabs on the right side and made a hinged drop down for my fuse blocks and power converter also on the right side.

I can, depending on how I bracket the GTX 45R I might have all that room. How does a hinged bracket for the fuse panel work?

Be careful that you leave space to remove the GTX 45R. I’m told you need a lot of space to slide the 45R out of its mounting bracket.

Hinge

I can, depending on how I bracket the GTX 45R I might have all that room. How does a hinged bracket for the fuse panel work?

I installed a section of hinge on the sub panel and 2 quick release latches( actually used the ones Vans supplies for the oil door). Cut a plate of aluminum to fit between the hinge and the bottom panel support. I can just reach down and turn the latches and the panel swings down. PM me your email and I'll send you pics how I did mine. I have quite a bit tucked in there on the right side. Not sure how to post pics on here.

I used that VPX position, but had to carefully measure for my planned Skyview HDX unit.

Depending on the depth of your EFIS at it's lower edge there may be physical interference.

IIRC the non-HDX Skyviews could have clearance issues.

Be careful that you leave space to remove the GTX 45R. I?m told you need a lot of space to slide the 45R out of its mounting bracket.

It's about as deep as the GTN 650. If it was a non-remote version a great place would have been just under the GTN650 and I could of made the subpanel cutout bigger.

What may work is using that area to the right and mounting it horizontal close enough to the right side that I can get to the wiring and antenna connection but with enough room on the left that I can pull the unit out if I need to. I have to mess with my bracket idea but the thought is to essentially made two ear type tabs that I can mount in between the panel and subpanel letting me secure the rack with two screws. Then have a lateral bracket that will hold the back of the rack up. Won't have that screwed down but it will support it enough to keep stress off the harness or front ears.

Then the VPX which will be the unit to the left, I'll see if I can leave enough distance to get the module in and out... if I can't then I'll look at mounting the VPX essentially upside down which should allow enough space to slide the GTX 45R over the 'top' of the VPX to get it in and out.

I installed a section of hinge on the sub panel and 2 quick release latches( actually used the ones Vans supplies for the oil door). Cut a plate of aluminum to fit between the hinge and the bottom panel support. I can just reach down and turn the latches and the panel swings down. PM me your email and I'll send you pics how I did mine. I have quite a bit tucked in there on the right side. Not sure how to post pics on here.

I'll post them for you-

This is a really cool idea, especially if not using a GTX and have a bunch of fuse blocks that take up mounting space. I'm big on being able to get to things for maintenance and this gives some great access.

I used that VPX position, but had to carefully measure for my planned Skyview HDX unit.

Depending on the depth of your EFIS at it's lower edge there may be physical interference.

IIRC the non-HDX Skyviews could have clearance issues.

The G3X's are about an 1.5" deep. I measured that out initially to ensure no conflicts. However if I mount the VPX 'upside down' like I mentioned to accommodate being able to pull out the GTX 45R then it puts the unit below the waterline per se and all that is open.

Wanted to show what I ended up with. There were a lot of decisions on the fly, some solutions worked through and then redone because I wasn't happy with the result.

The IBBS is above and behind the VPX. I can't mount the GSU on the G3X panel like I originally planned to so it's going to go on that brace to the left. I did put the ground on the right and the GEA 24 is on the subpanel where you can see those bolts.

I often mount the xpdr behind the aft bulkhead, benefit is this allows me to put the antenna on the aft fuse and keep the xpdr cable short, also allows easy access.

I didn't build my own harness so I would have had to thought about the transponder in the back earlier. Good idea though, I'll do that on my RV-8 build!

Mounting the GSU 25 on the little left bracket once everything in was a real challenge. I got it... well 3 out of the 4 screws at least. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Now onto sorting through the wires and figuring out where to put adels, ziptie bases, ect..

I didn't build my own harness so I would have had to thought about the transponder in the back earlier. Good idea though, I'll do that on my RV-8 build!

Mounting the GSU 25 on the little left bracket once everything in was a real challenge. I got it... well 3 out of the 4 screws at least. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Now onto sorting through the wires and figuring out where to put adels, ziptie bases, ect..

The GSU 25 needs to be mounted solid as possible for best performance.

I often mount the xpdr behind the aft bulkhead, benefit is this allows me to put the antenna on the aft fuse and keep the xpdr cable short, also allows easy access.

Walt,

I am going through this decision now. Rear mount is pretty easy, but puts 5 pounds or so aft. I have been thinking of keeping as much weight forward as possible to extend my baggage/passenger capacity and I think you followed a similar approach.

Curious your thought process here. I already will have two PC680's in the aft area.

Larry

SNIP..
I already will have two PC680's in the aft area.

Larry

Just a consideration. Two PC-625 batteries fit better, are a little lighter and have a bit more Amp-Hours and CCA than two PC-680 batteries.

I installed the two PC-625s in my RV-10 (flying for six years) in the aft location, and remotely mounted the SkyView ADS-B receiver there as well (just a few ounces). W&B works out fine for solo to four people and bags. Using stock IO-540 and Hartzell CS prop.

Carl

Walt,

I am going through this decision now. Rear mount is pretty easy, but puts 5 pounds or so aft. I have been thinking of keeping as much weight forward as possible to extend my baggage/passenger capacity and I think you followed a similar approach.

Curious your thought process here. I already will have two PC680's in the aft area.

Larry

GTX45R is 2.9 lbs, I think most 10's can afford that. A big plus is improved output power and reception do to the antenna cable being kept as short as possible and away from the other com antennas. Easy access and good ventilation doesn't hurt either.

Just a consideration. Two PC-625 batteries fit better, are a little lighter and have a bit more Amp-Hours and CCA than two PC-680 batteries.

I installed the two PC-625s in my RV-10 (flying for six years) in the aft location, and remotely mounted the SkyView ADS-B receiver there as well (just a few ounces). W&B works out fine for solo to four people and bags. Using stock IO-540 and Hartzell CS prop.

Carl

Thanks Carl. I am actually using the PS 12180's (same size as 680). They are 18 A/hrs and 12.8 #'s. So very similar to the 625.

Larry

GTX45R is 2.9 lbs, I think most 10's can afford that. A big plus is improved output power and reception do to the antenna cable being kept as short as possible and away from the other com antennas. Easy access and good ventilation doesn't hurt either.

Thanks Walt. I have the GTX 23, which is 4.5#'s. I already mounted the antenna under the front seat. Maybe I will fill those holes in and re-mount the antenna in the back. There was already a doubler there and I filled in the holes (original emp builder was going to but an MB antenna back there). On second thought, that probably won't make the 3' minimum distance.

Larry

This is how I mounted everything in a recent -10. The transponder if to he right of the right rib in a hole in the sub-Panel so it slides out aft.

10qvxuh.jpg

I didn?t think about letting the plugs hang below the subpanel. I did however put Adel clips in similiar places.

Keep in mind the 45R is blue tooth and the antenna is on the unit’s face. It also need to be facing toward you and in range for the blue tooth reception. I cut a slot in the sub panel, reenforced the cut out and installed the tray. The tray mounts to the aluminum angle installed on the sub panel, and with a bracket attached to the rear of the tray and one of the panel ribs. I positioned it so when I remove the 460 touch, the transponder clears the panel cut out for the touch screen . The tray is mounted horizontal in the sub panel.

Walt,

How did you mount the transponder back there? I am now thinking this will work better for me.

Larry

This is how I mounted everything in a recent -10. The transponder if to he right of the right rib in a hole in the sub-Panel so it slides out aft.

10qvxuh.jpg

Any concern with plugs mounted on the bottom of the boxes? Wouldn't a gravity assist be your friend here? Or does it matter?
Not being critical just wondering if one direction is better than the other.

Anyone ever have a loose connection affecting instrumentation? Knees knocking against wires in flight or while entering/exiting? Kids in passenger seat with short legs kicking feet up into the connectors?

I realize the plugs are mechanically screwed into place, but thinking about any/all scenarios...

Back