What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Motor Mount Spacing

REHughes

I would appreciate some help from any of you that have experience with the later-style 6-bolt engine mounts for the -3. I am at the stage of fabricating the angles that run up from the cockpit floor to the backside of the firewall, the assemblies that provide the pads to mount the two "extra" (toward the center) engine mount bolts. The plans are basically worthless in determining the location of the firewall holes for these two bolts... The critical dimensions vary widely between drawings, and are not even consistent within the same drawings, including the one for the mount fabrication.

If anyone has their cowling off at some point, would you please provide me with:
1. The distance from the lower firewall flange up to the centerline of those two bolts.
2. The distance between the two bolts.

I am not ready to make the conical/dynafocal choice, so I can't buy my mount yet to do a custom fit. I am not going to drill the bolt holes, but want to make sure they will eventually hit the right portions of the firewall reinforcing angle pads.

Thank you very much, Hawkeye

encouraging freind

I think my friend ed wants you to call him he researches a lot and can help a lot his phone is two eight 1433zero zero19

Hawkeye, I had the same problem, I fabricated the angle pieces before I had the mount, once the mount came they didn't line up, had to remove the flanges from the angles already installed and re riveted them in place once the mount was on, my suggestion would be fabricate the angle pieces but don't drill and rivet the firewall angle on yet rivet them into the fuse and then once you get the engine mount, mount it drill the holes through the firewall, position the flanges on the floor angles this way you can center the hole to be drilled into the flange, clamp the flange to the brace and drill it. Once that is bolted in clamp and drill the flange and angle braces and rivet it this way all the correct angles and spacing are met. This worked for me I was able to drill the flanges with a 90 degree drill and the small rivet squeezer. Dave

RV3B mount holes

In addition to location, the drawing does not prepare you for firewall/ mount spacing. I had to fabricate a washer to go between the fire wall and the aluminum gusset in the fuselage floor. The operative suggestion here is put the mount on and fab the aluminum stiffener to conform to the mount and firewall..Larry

Back