What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great Engineering Internships Available

tswanson

Hi,

I'm about a year into building an RV-7 and through perusing this site several times a week have realized that this is generally a very intelligent group that is good with both their minds and hands.

I'm also an engineer at Precision Planting and also happen to coordinate our internship program for engineering students where we are looking for engineers that have those same qualities among others, and I thought this might be a great crowd to reach out to. We an agricultural company in Tremont, IL. (Near Peoria)

Do you know a college student pursuing a mechanical engineering, agricultural engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science degree that has the same problem solving skills as the RV building community generally does?

We are now a ~300 person company that was started by a local farmer back in the early 1990's with a mission to improve agriculture by developing high tech sensing and control products for planters, sprayers, fertilizer application equipment, and combines. Since then the company has been very careful to hand select only the best engineers and maintain a great culture, and everyone I talk to is very proud to work there.

If you're thinking the bib overalls and pitchforks, this is a whole different ballgame. You will be amazed at the amount of technology on today's agricultural equipment. Almost all of our products are a mechanical product that incorporates a control board, various sensors, software, motors, etc., all of which we design and develop in-house. Equipment steering is controlled to sub-inch accuracy and other systems are in that ballpark as well.

I worked as an engineering intern and engineer at the Caterpillar tech center and proving grounds for about 7 years, and left voluntarily about 7 years ago because Precision Planting presented such a great experience compared to a big company where I spent 80% of my time in meetings and getting caught up in non-engineering activities.

If your student wants an internship with a real engineering project where they have the ability to personally use any and all tools available, this is a great place to work and gain experience. (We have mills, lathes, MIG, TIG, PlasmaCAM, and various metal working machines as well as a laser and several 3D printers, a great CAD system, and many other "toys". The mentors for the program are very good in my opinion also.

If interested, please send a pdf resume to [email protected], and let me know you're sending via this thread or PM so I make sure I see it.

Here is a link to the job description.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1utufR2wdfZsBXtrAhAjNMPZxouzrKOHG/view?usp=sharing

Here is a link to our website if you're curious about what we do.
www.precisionplanting.com

Here is a link to some videos of our annual conference we hold with around ~4000 farmers in a attendance.
http://www.precisionplanting.com/#videos/

Thanks,

Last edited:
This would be for a summer internship that typically starts a week or so after the student ends their spring semester, and ends a week or so before they start again in the fall.

We would also be interested in a student who wants to participate during the school year. Typically more students like the summers though, because working full time in the summer can be feasible without delaying graduation.

Compensation

Also, I should mention that this is a paid internship and we have made sure it is very competitive with other opportunities in the area in order to attract the best talent.

Summer internship

Hi,

I forwarded your post to my son who is a junior at Iowa State in Mechanical Engineering. Not sure if he?ll contact you, but wanted to let you know.

Dave Bellairs

Back