What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote Oil Filter

Breezy

Well Known Member
Anyone have in-service experience with a remote Oil Filter.

Does it really avoid spilling when removing the spin-on or just change the spill location?
Do the supply hoses drain when the spin-on is removed?
Location recommendations?

Thanks.

Remote not perfectly clean

My remote is on the firewall near the oil check door. The filter is on a 45 degree angle with with the threaded end facing up. When your remove the filter, a small amount of oil still oozes out. Even though the filter is check valved & etc. it appears the casting and lines don't drain back to the engine to any useful degree. So, remote may be better than the accessory case mount, but a bag is still a good idea.

I find it easier to catch the oil when remote mounted vs. on the rear of the engine. And supposedly the remote location is good for some oil cooling as well.

I use a foil pan like you use for baking or barbecue grease-catcher.

Vic

My remote oil filter is mounted on the lower firewall with the threaded end straight up. It can be removed without spilling any of the oil in the filter, but the oil in the hoses and the filter housing will then drain out. Punching a hole in the bottom of the filter before removal lets it all drain before filter removal.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Back