What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What the heck is this dimple for?

Carlpretzel

Patron
I spent the entire day deburing and prepping rudder parts on the first two pages of chapter 7. Very long day! I started the skins then drank a beer and got wrapped up on steps 2 and 4 of page 07-04 the illustration tells you to final drill #30 top most aft hole and dimple flush opposite side. The steps tell you to dimple for CS4 rivet flush on the surface opposite the flange bend direction. Ok, I've been reading ahead to an effort to explain this step and I can't find anything written in the rudder assembly or finishing of the rudder fiberglass tip to explain why this dimple is done during the assembly of the rudder? It makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
I spent the entire day deburing and prepping rudder parts on the first two pages of chapter 7. Very long day! I started the skins then drank a beer and got wrapped up on steps 2 and 4 of page 07-04 the illustration tells you to final drill #30 top most aft hole and dimple flush opposite side. The steps tell you to dimple for CS4 rivet flush on the surface opposite the flange bend direction. Ok, I've been reading ahead to an effort to explain this step and I can't find anything written in the rudder assembly or finishing of the rudder fiberglass tip to explain why this dimple is done during the assembly of the rudder? It makes no sense to me.

There won't be enough room for your dimple die later when you install the rudder cap. Be sure to dimple that hole before riveting.
Marvin

Back