What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Power "build school" experience

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I just wanted to share the experience that I had with Aerosport Power this week. I had them build my Lycoming IO 540 and opted to join them for "build school" which allowed me to build the engine under the direct and constant supervision of a expert tech (Simon). It was simply an amazing experience and well worth the time and effort. Up to this point, the engine really was essentially a black box to me. Not anymore. I got there Monday morning and the prep work had been done. The parts that needed to be matched were weighed and marked and everything was laid out ready to be assembled similar to what one would see on the table of a scrub nurse in the OR. Simon, the tech, knew every nut, bolt, and washer on that engine as did the other techs that came to sign off each stage. It gave me great confidence that this engine was being assembled by professionals, and I learned a ton about the engine itself. Assembly took 2 days. Day 3 was spent running the engine on the test truck and recording many different parameters. It was flawless. Day 4 was spent rechecking every nut and bolt and installing the other components, (alternators, etc) before crating it and putting it into the back of my truck to take with me. The experience really was everything that I hoped it would be and more. Everybody there, from top to bottom, was very, very friendly and answered a million questions with patience despite a few of them being repetitive and possibly rhetorical. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

As a side note, we installed Ross' SDS system. I was quite amazed with how smooth that engine sounded, particularly at idle where it truly purred like a kitten. I can't wait to fly it.

I've been to Aero Sport several times and worked with the crew there. Super knowledgeable and friendly.

Glad you enjoyed the experience Randy.

Good to hear about the school, I'm very interested in that as well.

What were your numbers if you don't mind sharing?

Good to hear about the school, I'm very interested in that as well.

What were your numbers if you don't mind sharing?

Hey Tim. Unfortunately they are in the process of constructing an outbuilding to house the dyno so I didn't get those numbers. With 9:1 pistons, BPE CAI and the SDS system we are thinking that the engine should be making close to 300hp. I'm not sure that knowing the exact number is truly important.

I second all of this!

I absolutely agree with your experience, RandyAB. I went up there in March and built my IO-360 with Simon. I couldn't have been happier. They gave me the best price, and I came away with what has to have been the best experience, and a nice little vacation in BC as well.

Back