What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS430W Lost Comm Audio Output

LarGriff

In midflight, I lost comm audio from my GNS430W. ATC was talking and the radio went silent in mid-word. ATC can hear my transmissions but I can't hear them. Also, I can no longer hear my sidetone when I'm transmitting. The RX indicator shows when the radio is receiving, but there's no audio. Yes, I tried turning up the volume. ;) Also tried cycling the power. Still no audio. I swapped radios with a friend and his works fine in my plane. My radio still doesn't work in his plane. Now he wants his back! So, it's the 430. :( (Nav audio works fine, BTW).

Is there an internal fuse or quick reset that I can check, or do I need to send it to my dealer, or can I send it directly to Garmin?

N74LG
RV-7A
1072 grinning hours

Last edited:
I had problems with my 430 jumping frequencies. With the help of an avionics buddy, we disassembled it and re-seated connections and carefully brushed everything out. We found a little bit of aluminum dust and he said that could definitely cause problems. It's worked perfectly for the last 400 hours. Now I'm extra careful when doing any work that might result in dust getting in the avionics.

And, if I have problems again, I'll try the same before sending to Garmin.

Ummm, don't want to sound too haughty, but I don't think you've gone far enough down the troubleshooting tree to completely eliminate other causes, but that's partly because we don't have a whole lot of information with which to work.

Do you have an audio panel in place? If not, how is your airplane wired so you hear Comm and Nav audio in your headset? This piece of info is critical. Also, is the 430 your only comm radio, or do you have a 2nd comm? If you have 2 comms, is the 430 wired as Comm1 or Comm2?

I'm going to suggest the 430 may not be 100% at fault. I would suggest the fault may lie with the 430 COMM Audio Hi Out signal going between the 430 and your audio panel, or within the audio panel. This could be as simple as a fatigue failure in the wire between the boxes.

If you do have an audio panel installed, you can rule out some internal switching by turning the audio panel OFF. In the OFF position most audio panels by default route pilot headset (receive audio, mic and PTT) directly to the COMM 1 radio

You mention you can hear the NAV audio coming from the 430. It's helpful to know the NAV audio output from the 430 is a completely separate output from the COMM audio. This means there is a separate wire going from the 430 to the audio panel. This is what allows you to use the audio panel to select whether or not you hear the NAV audio. Hearing NAV audio only confirms your headset is connected to the audio panel and the NAV receiver is connected to the audio panel. It does nothing else to troubleshoot the COMM audio function.

Mark, I think he said that he swapped in a friend's 430, and it worked okay. That pretty much rules out wiring/audio panel/etc.
The only thing I can suggest to to take a good look at the connector on the back of the 430, and make sure that the com audio Hi pin is not bent or pushed back and recessed. I presume you tried to defeat the squelch (push volume knob) and see if that helped. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's off to a dealer and back to Garmin. Get your checkbook ready. If it's not under warrantee I think there's a fixed repair price, no matter how minor or major. Since it's a fixed price, bring up any other items you want fixed (loose knobs, missing pixels, etc).

Last edited:
Reinstall your 430, and dig out the install manual and read how to confirm it?s seated all the way in the tray. A lot of problems come from the radio not seated properly. So there?s at least a chance yours might work if you try it again.
If it comes to it, you will have to ship it to a dealer, who then can ship it to Garmin. They won?t deal direct with you.
I would also suggest you locate the audio pins and connector from the install manual and carefully push on them to see if perhaps one is not fully seated in the connector. Not likely since the other radio worked fine but a possibility.
Good luck
Tim Andres

I recently had a problem with the airport ID letters not working so thinking that I would have to send it in to Garmin resulting in a huge charge I first talked to our local Avionics shop. He said that he could look inside and inspect the master connector, so he did and Viola it had become partially unseated. It was 10 years old and due for a battery replacement so he did that and we are good, charging only for the battery replacement. So I recommend talking to an experienced avionics shop and maybe have them look inside.

Mark, I think he said that he swapped in a friend's 430, and it worked okay. That pretty much rules out wiring/audio panel/etc.

Thanks, Bob - I read that and clearly it didn't sink in! :p:eek:

Opening the box up might be helpful to find a loose connection. Google could be your friend in finding videos/images/how-to instructions.

These are wonderful little boxes but taking an $1100 hit to find a loose connection would be a real bummer.

Back