What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy rear guide rail

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good afternoon everyone,
Still plugging along on my slider canopy and was wondering. I still have cleckos in the rear guide rail that will interfere with the initial canopy fit. I don't want to remove the cleckos because the the rail can move ever so slightly. I would like to screw it in permanently but can't find in the directions when this is to be done. Does anyone know where this step is, or is this one of those steps that is expected to just be done

Thanks
Brandon

I would wait until the canopy and skirt are done, then you can slide the T rail forward or back to bring skirt down tight on the fuse.

Since it is held on by clecos at the moment, I assume the rail is already match-drilled to the fuselage. If that is the case, it is too late to move forward/aft for canopy fit. You can screw it in place at any time, you can always take the screws back out if needed.

If you need to adjust the canopy position a little, you can change the forward bend a little. However, if the top strip and the bar are already riveted together, you will likely have to drill out the forward rivet, make the bend, then oversize the hole for a -4 rivet. It depends on how much movement you need.

Are you installing Supertracks?

Good afternoon everyone,
Still plugging along on my slider canopy and was wondering. I still have cleckos in the rear guide rail that will interfere with the initial canopy fit. I don't want to remove the cleckos because the the rail can move ever so slightly. I would like to screw it in permanently but can't find in the directions when this is to be done. Does anyone know where this step is, or is this one of those steps that is expected to just be done

Thanks
Brandon

If so, consider putting in a longer 1-piece slider rail for the canopy to accommodate the Supertracks (Flyboy Accessories).

Flyboy

I thought of doing that, but all I see they sell is the additional extension. Not an uncut guide rail

B

Guide rail

Van's was willing to sell me the bar stock (1/4 x 1/2 i think) in whatever length I wanted. They likely buy it in 12' sticks. Get it long enough for Supertracks.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

If you are going with the Supertracks then order the guide rail for the RV8 from Vans, it is more than long enough to accommodate the extra 9" or so required for the Supertracks installation. You will need to change the forward bend radius to match your RV7 rail.

Back