What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proposed G3X Touch

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
I'm working towards finalizing my G3X configuration in the hopes of writing a fat check later this year. Would appreciate feedback on the layout below. The GTN is shown in a dashed line as I may opt to build the rest of the G3X system and add it later (unless I can get a good bundle deal on the GTN).

obe.jpg

I have a similar setup. I just powered up last week for the first time. You will need a gad-29 to make the GTN talk to the G3X. I also think the GMU-11 is the preferred way to go instead of the GMU-22. I got the GTX-345R as a package deal with the GTN, if not you can save with a GTX-45R. I also opted for a SL-30 for a nav/com and a GTR-20 as a second com. Just some other options if you want to help the budget.

Jay

Consider this configuration...it might save you some money and and do everything (or almost everything) that you're trying to accomplish.

1. Ditch the expensive GTN 635 and go with the 625. It's about half the price of the 635 when you purchase it along with the G3x. If you really want a Nav radio as part of your system than a GTN 650 (GPS/NAV/COM) may be a better choice and more bang for the buck. I know a lot of people still like to have a NAV radio, but these days I personally don't put much value in them.

2. If you went with the 625 then you could add a second GTR 20 com. Unfortunately, they don't make a NAV/COM in this remote mount unit.

3. Go with the GTX 45-R with ADS-B (in and out) rather than the 345-R. You'll already have a WAAS GPS in your GTN, so you don't need another one to satisfy the WASS GPS requirement for your ADS-B (out).

4. GMA 245 audio-panel, not the 240.

5. Two GDU 460's...not a 460/465 combo. Instead, go with two 460's and add a stand alone GDL 51-R. The GDL 51-R will give you your XM music and weather.

6. I'm sure the GMC 507 is a nice unit, but you can perform all of it's functions within the the G3x screen. So if you need to save a little bit of dash real estate than you can probably live without the 507. If it were me, I'd maybe invest the 507 money into a G5. You can always add a couple of stand-alone LEVEL and TOGA toggle switches to your dash. To me, that emergency LEVEL button is the best part of the 507, but like I said, you can have a stand-alone momentary push button or toggle switch that'll do the same thing.

7. GMU-11...not the 22.

8. Add a GAD 27 and 29

Mark

Last edited:
The GMC-507 connects to the system via the CAN Bus.

The GMC-305/307 connect via RS-232.

Yep. Modify your diagram to show the GMC 507 using the CAN bus as it doesn't require the direct RS232 connection to a servo. That's the main advantage of the newer GMC 507. But that's an advantage in simplifying installation, not functionality over the GMC 307. I would highly discourage using the GDU glass displays only to control the autopilot. It works but the ergonomics, functionality and overall experience is hugely enhanced by a stand-alone autopilot controller. If you want to save some money you could go with a remote GTX-32 Mode C transponder (about $300 used) or even remote a GTX-327 (same box only with display so remotes just as well) and then add a GDL-82 for ADS-B out. Then go with two GDU 460's rather than a 460/465 combination and install a GDL-52 for "in" providing the SXM weather and music and FIS-B and TIS-B for ADS-B in. This works very well with the G3X Touch. Very well. It also provides for anonymous mode if you worry about privacy (not available with the 345/45R/335 etc..).

More savings can be realized by going with the GDU-11 magnetometer rather than the GDU-22. The GDU-11 is the newer preferred route for sub-250 knot aircraft.

And also step up to the newer GMA 245 (or remote 245R) audio panel. Just like previous responders suggested.

And don't bother installing the GAD-29 unless you are installing a GTN at the same time. And finally be advised the GTN series uses the TSO'd GA 35 WAAS GPS antenna. Not the GA 56 antennanas you show in the dashed box.

Jim

Thoughts..

Here is a few of my thoughts for what it?s worth.. :D

GMA245(R) vs the GMA240. The 245(R) versions run on the CAN, but not the 240.

GTX45R vs the 345R, less $$, and I believe the same features?

GDU460 vs GDU465. Add a GDL51R, and you will have XM on both screens for about the same $$.

GTN625 + GTR20 vs the GTN635. Plus a GA35 gps antenna

No remote Garmin nav/com that I know of!

Keep the GMU22👍

Start/stop can bus to keep bus length to a minimum. Usually both servos.
GMC507 runs on Can, not RS-232
GMA240 not on the Can
GTX-GTN wired via Ethernet ports, not RS232

Hope this helps!

Personally I would go with the GTX35R and the GDL52R. That?s a much cheaper option and you save the $500 on the GDU 460 vs the 465. I also would go with the GTN625 and the GTR20. The GMA245R is a great unit and saves panel space.

I would absolutely put in the GMC507. I have just finished an RV-10 with this unit and I wouldn?t want to fly IFR without it. Hands down the best $1,200 in the Panel, imho.

The GMU22, if you already have it, works fine. It?s just a pain to install.

G3X Config - Update

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I've made a few changes as shown below.

I went with two GDU 460 and a GTX 45R. I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with the ADS-B weather products. If not, I can always add in a GDL 51/52 later. I'm sticking with the GMA 240 for now. I got it on discount from Stein, arrived yesterday.

I'm really struggling with the idea of not having a VOR/LOC, so I added in the GNC 255. I'm hoping the G3X/GTN 625 bundle deal is still happening. If not, it may end up being cheaper to get the GTN 650 instead of the GTN 625 and GNC 255.

Can anyone explain the differences between the GMU 11 and the GMU 22? Is the interface (RS-232/485 vs CAN BUS) about all? Aircraft Spruce includes the GMU 22 in their "High Performance" kit, so I just assumed it was preferred over the GMU 11.

obH.jpg

Playing around a little bit with Solidworks...

Does most everyone using the 10" screens get a custom, taller panel? There's not much room left down there for switches and whatnot.
obk.png

Hi Michael,

Regarding your question on fitting switches below the G3x touch screen, it is possible, however only with the 1/4" switches. These are available from Stein and are good for up to 3 amps if I remember correctly. They are perfect for things such as the landing light switch, TOGA or any other discrete input for your GAD27 or GEA24. The small shuttle switch protectors are available from www.periheliondesign.com and I would recommend them in this location (actually, I appear to use them everywhere) because of the risk of clipping the switch with your foot when getting into the aircraft. There is also room for the potentiometers required for adjusting lighting if you have a GAD27 (which I would recommend). My pot is a 10K miniature linear version from Sparkfun (COM-09939), and runs the standard Van's LED glare shield strip via the GAD27 PWM function.
You could order a deeper panel, but it's not an absolute necessity and don't disregard the extra inches or leg/knee room a deeper panel may take up.
I hope this helps.
Tom.

332z02x.jpg

scq4qo.jpg

I put in the 507 because I like to have direct access for control. As much as touch screens are awesome, I'd prefer not to play around much with the EFIS screens during flight.
p.jpeg

Back