What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling for a K1000-08 Nutplate

David Paule

Well Known Member
Some people use one of the handy jigs for for this.

When I haven't already drilled the screw hole in the aluminum mounting piece yet, but am still using the #40 pilot hole, and I want to drill the holes for the ears, I use a K1000-06 nutplate as a jig. The ear holes are the same and a #40 cleco holds it nicely in place.

No special jig needed.

Dave
RV-3B, building the fuselage

Nutplate jig

Same here Dave. Small twist. I run a screw into a sacrificial nutplate backwards. The screw sticking out helps align the nutplate. Usually I place the nutplate with the screw in the hole, center punch a rivet hole, drill, cleko, center punch, drill. Bit of work but no misses so far.
I have one of each type set up.

I built my 7 using those techniques. Works fine as long as you replace the nutplate when the ears get wallowed out.. My wife knows I love tools and bought me some real nutplate jigs for Christmas so I am looking forward to using them.

In my own experience. I could always get better and more precise alignment using a sacrificial nutplate rather than using the nutplate jig. I too have a collection of nutplates for this purpose. All colored sharpie blue:p

A nutplate jig is a great tool and will vastly speed up the installation process. Just be sure you don't drill the screw hole too big; the jig must fit tight in the center hole or it won't be accurate.

In my own experience. I could always get better and more precise alignment using a sacrificial nutplate rather than using the nutplate jig. I too have a collection of nutplates for this purpose. All colored sharpie blue:p

Same here, Garet...........well, almost. Mine are colored Sharpie Red. :)

Back