What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Switch Panel lights vs Dynon D 180 Alarms

Recently while flying Card 2 Accept. test, started getting EGT 1 Alarms about every three seconds and then they would reset before I could clear them myself. I noticed that the green switch lights for Master, Avionics, Ignition, Autopilot lights would go out when alarms came and when I could clear the alarms they would return on as normal. This happened almost continuously until I could land and terminate the profile. Replaced the connnector from egt sensors to back of dynon and flew next card normally. Now have same indications back again. Noticed when get ready to fly and select master to on position, no green light on switch, then select avionics switch to on and no green light, then dynon powers up and green lights cycle 3 times before coming on steady until Dynon start alarms set then the green switch lights go off. Have 20 hours on 12 and this started at about 18 hour point. Called Vans and Dynon about this last evening. Vans now looking for cause, Dynon says it might be the Honeywell oil sender causing shorts on AV Bus and causing erratic indications. Has anyone had similar problems? Has anyone had a bad AV Bus that had to be replaced on the 12. Looking for any help from all you guys out there that really know the 12 electronics system and its interconnectivity. If you can help, email me at [email protected]. Thanks for any help. A very frustrated builder/pilot! We are the guys that got the wrong oil tank with our engine and chased that oil leak ghost for monts also. I guess, that is why they call it Experimental. BTW, the aircraft performs much better than I could have every expected with my 20000 hours of flying experience!

Doug Robison

Honeywell transmitter

Doug,

I was getting erratic readings on the Dynon when the Honeywell oil pressure sender was failing. I had erratic oil pressure readings, flickering screen, fuel burn anomolies etc. I replaced the sender and relocated it to the fire wall and it seems to have cured multiple issues.

Gary Eldridge

Recently while flying Card 2 Accept. test, started getting EGT 1 Alarms about every three seconds and then they would reset before I could clear them myself. I noticed that the green switch lights for Master, Avionics, Ignition, Autopilot lights would go out when alarms came and when I could clear the alarms they would return on as normal. This happened almost continuously until I could land and terminate the profile. Replaced the connnector from egt sensors to back of dynon and flew next card normally. Now have same indications back again. Noticed when get ready to fly and select master to on position, no green light on switch, then select avionics switch to on and no green light, then dynon powers up and green lights cycle 3 times before coming on steady until Dynon start alarms set then the green switch lights go off. Have 20 hours on 12 and this started at about 18 hour point. Called Vans and Dynon about this last evening. Vans now looking for cause, Dynon says it might be the Honeywell oil sender causing shorts on AV Bus and causing erratic indications. Has anyone had similar problems? Has anyone had a bad AV Bus that had to be replaced on the 12. Looking for any help from all you guys out there that really know the 12 electronics system and its interconnectivity. If you can help, email me at [email protected]. Thanks for any help. A very frustrated builder/pilot! We are the guys that got the wrong oil tank with our engine and chased that oil leak ghost for monts also. I guess, that is why they call it Experimental. BTW, the aircraft performs much better than I could have every expected with my 20000 hours of flying experience!

Doug Robison

This is likely caused by a perameter incorrectly configured on the D-180. Properly configured, the D-180 dimmer, controls the dimming of the panel lighting.

Your D-180 is currently configured so that this output is linked to the D-180 warnings function. Some builders have had this proplem occur when they did a software update to the D-180. Did this problem develope right after you did a software update?

Thanks guys for all the inputs. Reviewed them all. What I found was that one of the EGT # 1 pins crimped coming from the Probe on the engine was not always conducting current thru the 25 pin D Sub connector to the EMS part of the D 180. It was not the crimp that was bad but the pin portion that was intermittently not a conductor! I used to work with my Dad in Radio and TV repair and learned from him when troubleshhting a problem to suspect everything has failed. I have never, ever seen or found a bad pin! I can now say I Have. Easy fix, cut the bad pin off at the wire /crimp and throw it as far as you can in one GIANT heave and put a new pin on and crimp. BTW, this harness worked for about 18 hours with no Problem! It came from Steinair that way with no construction need from us! Since, have completed all cards and problem free!!! What started out as a one year project turned into almost 3 years!!! A big pain in the AXX. On the bright side, it flys well at a fast economical cost. Again, thanks to all of you out there as your help was much better than Vans and Dynon!:):)

Back