What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Banjo orifice plugged by pump debris

jersey

Well Known Member
A heads up for victims of pump failure...............I found the Banjo orifice plugged, and here's how I found it.

I Replaced my old pump today with the new style pump. Turned on the electric pump to check for leaks and the pressure went to 2.1 psig. But was puzzled when I turn the pump off because the pressure stayed at 2.1 psig and would not bleed down. I started the engine and with both pumps "on" the pressure climbed to 4.7 psig and would not bleed down when I killed the engine and the electric pump. I concluded that I had a stuck pressure transmitter. Upon loosening the line to the sensor however fuel sprayed out indicating that I did have pressure on the line. The pressure sensor on the Dynon dropped to 0.0 psig. I removed the banjo fitting from the return line and found debris wedged into the hole. I cleaned the orifice and all works well now. Apparently when the last pump failed it discharged material from the diaphram that stopped up the orifice. Thought I give a heads up if someone else encounters the problem in the future / might save someone from ordering a new pressure transmitter.

Happy flying :rolleyes:

Gary Eldridge

I believe you're referring to the Banjo Bolt that shows up on Figure 5 of Page 46-09, Rev 2 dated 12/10/2010. Step 8 of this page states:

"Remove the pilot jet from the banjo bolt M8x1x17 as shown in Figure 5. It will not be replaced but keep it in a safe place."

I've always wondered about hidden meaning in the second sentence of that statement. Looking back through Van's posting of drawing revisions, I cannot find previous versions of this drawing and, therefore, cannot determine if removal of the pilot jet from the banjo bolt was a revision from the original design.

So, getting down to my questions: Is this the banjo bolt and orifice you're referring to? If so, should the orifice have been in there?

Back