What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Zolatone Paint on Fuel Tank

GDS

Well Known Member
Fuel Tank is sealed well, full of fuel in the back of my truck and leak free, now want to paint it before installing. Anyone use Zolatone paint on their fuel tank or interior? Which primer? Thanks, GDS

Zolatone

Use Zolatone AIM (Auto, Indus, Marine) which is somewhat oil base and not the architectural finishes which are acrylic based. Zolatone says to use their proprietary primer. My local paint supplier recommended PPG Shop Line 2-part epoxy primer and Zolatone admitted it would work fine. The epoxy primer was fantastic and with the pressure pot gun (2 mm nozzle) the end result was better than I imagined. I LOVE Zolatone!

Materials
Epoxy Primer - 1 gal. - $81
Epoxy Hardender - 2 qts. $32
Zolatone - 1 gal. - $116

Primer

Finished Result

Zolatone

Open Cans

Last edited:
Looks great

Beautiful work Rob - wonder if I can find it here in Taxyafornia or whether the regulators have already nixed it? :(

Thanks, InsideOut, I looked at the material and decided it was too expensive for the tank only. We're going to use the same paint that we used on the canopy frame. (I wish I'd known about Zolatone when I was painting my camo fishing boat)

Back