What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IAC Sequences for 2017 Approved

ronschreck

Well Known Member
Just got back from the IAC Board meeting in OSH. The proposed aerobatic sequences for 2017 were all approved. Here they are:

The Primary sequence is where most start out. In a contest you will typically fly this sequence three times. Maybe four.

The Sportsman sequence is the most popular level of competition for RV pilots. You may fly the Known sequence for three flights -or- you can fly a Free sequence of you own design with the same difficulty (K factor) as the Known sequence for your second and third flight.

This is probably the highest category of IAC aerobatics that the RV is capable of performing. At the higher levels there are outside looping and snap maneuvers that the RV is not stressed to handle. In the Intermediate category you will fly the Known sequence on your first flight and a Free sequence on your second flight. The third flight is an Unknown sequence that you will be given at least 12 hours before you must fly it for the first time! It gets interesting at this level! :eek:

So, start practicing!

For the non-aresti crowd looking to get into IAC, the primary sequence as written consists of:

1) 45?*upline
2) 1.5 turn spin
3) half cuban
4) loop
5) 180?*competition turn
6) slow roll

The dreaded 1 1/4

The sportsman looks like fun, good on energy for the RVV-8. But, I've always had trouble consistently doing a 1 1/4 spin. One turn, no problem. One and a half or more, no problem. But, the one turn point is where the rotation rate starts to increase and I have found it difficult to consistently stop at 1 1/4.

The 1 1/4 was in Sportsman a number of years ago, I leased with then President Vicky Cruise to change it, I needed all the help I could get!

Guess I'll have to practice A LOT, maybe work on aileron inputs to control the rotation rate.

I will have a new Paulel in my plane by the time the season comes around, maybe the slight CG shift aft will help.

Looking forward to getting back into competition after too much time away.

Scott A Jordan
N733JJ

Welcome back!

Scott,

I will be great to have you back on the competition trail. You have been absent since the 2009 season. Too long!

RV participation has increased quite a bit since your last contest. You should enjoy being among a great group of RV pilots. Glad to have you back. :D

Hoping to get in to competition in the next year or two! Y'all are making me jealous. Any competitions near central Virginia or Texas (depending on the time of year) and I'd love to come watch.

John

Looks like a workable list for Primary. Interestingly, I flew some spins the other day just to see if the airplane could do them - Buddy of mine in S.C. who owns an -8 says his cannot because of too much weight in the nose (inverted oil, battery, maybe also the FI). So I went to visit him and we flew together and did some spins - my plan (battery in back, no inverted oil, carb) did the spins quite well.

My buddy, Bob Shaw, actually taught me spins in the 90's when I went to visit him in Ohio and that was before I had my PPL.

So I need to get my chute repacked, and then I need to start seriously on my slow rolls - they suck most horribly.

2017 might be the competition year.

The sportsman looks like fun, good on energy for the RVV-8. But, I've always had trouble consistently doing a 1 1/4 spin. One turn, no problem. One and a half or more, no problem. But, the one turn point is where the rotation rate starts to increase and I have found it difficult to consistently stop at 1 1/4.

Guess I'll have to practice A LOT, maybe work on aileron inputs to control the rotation rate.

Try adding power to stop the spin. Increases flow and power available to the rudder. A competition spin stop for me in the Pitts is:
1. Full opposite rudder 1/4 before I want to stop
2. Pitch to straight down, Opposite aileron, Power

Scott, I'd be willing to bet that with practice and experimentation you will learn to find a way to get consistent results. Variable aileron (both ways) and elevator inputs, or a combination of both have an effect. So does the way you enter the spin. Even if you can find a way to get the spin rotation predictably inconsistent, that's enough to adapt to the timing needed.

Have you tried entering a spin from an airspeed BELOW your power off stall speed? The design of this Sportsman sequence is a perfect chance to try it. Assertively cap off below your power off stall speed (a more nose high pitch attitude will be needed), still carrying power, draw a level line long enough to be seen (3 count), and then simultaneously pull power and apply spin inputs. Instant spin. Takes some practice to do it smoothly, but many airplanes will more quickly establish a more consistent spin rotation from this type of entry, due to the reduced forward trajectory of the airplane. The trick with the power on entry is to ensure you don't purely yaw or snap roll into it. Customized aileron/elevator inputs still apply here. This type of spin entry is a requirement in the higher categories. Flying Advanced/Unlimited in the Pitts, I often find myself entering a spin from full power and about 40 mph indicated, even though I stall power off at 62 mph. Inverted spins especially are a bit smoother for me if done correctly using this technique...not that I have much of a choice when capping off after vertical rolling on the way up.

One more note on the 1-1/4 spin for newbies - you'll be dragging a wing after you stop the spin unless you apply a little rudder pressure in the direction you originally spun with. Should be applied immediately as the spin stops. Learn the sight picture of your wingtip when the airplane is perfectly vertical in yaw and check it after those spins! Yaw correction is pretty much N/A for 1 and 1-1/2 turn spins.

Last edited:
Back