What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trim motor problem

Stormy

Anyone had a problem with a trim motor? Mine quit working. Just had installed new g3x touch with garmin a/p and worked fine. All breaker and fuses in working order. Went to fly the plane to work in the early morning and it started working, then when I flew back in the afternoon it didn't work.....:(
Hope I don't have to buy new trim motor.

In my experience, it is usually not a motor problem - check the switch and relay (if installed) - then look for loose wires.

If you find yourself stuck somewhere, you can use a 9 volt battery at the motor to fair the trim tab. I know that a 7A can fly from Wisconsin to Florida with just a faired trim tab and no operating trim. Loose wire at the relay under the floor discovered later.

following up on Paul's post...

...there is a known issue with older Ray Allen relays and they updated them to a heavier duty style. The new one is almost twice the physical size of the old one. I had to change mine out when they both became intermittent with less than 200hrs on them.

A friends quit working, was loose wire from the sw to the ind behind the panel. Larry

Did you wire it for auto trim? If so, you have another potential loose wire or bad pin because you added a bit of complexity to the wiring with auto trim. Now you have wires from your trim relay output to the pitch servo and back to the trim motor. So when you start troubleshooting you need to check these additional wires and pins in your pitch servo connector.

First thing I would do is take a 9 volt battery to your trim motor, disconnect from ship's wiring and connect to the 9 volt battery, see if the motor runs. It probably will, which of course means you have eliminated the trim motor as the problem.

Back