What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which plugs?

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
Does anyone know for sure which spark plugs are controled by ignition switch A (upper or lower)? or does anyone know the page number in Rotax's manual that has the info.? Thank you.

FYI,

I would advise everyone with a Rotax engine to go to Rotax-owner.com and download all 5 manuals. You absolutely will need them and they have almost all the info you'll need. They are your engine Bible.

Module A is 1 and 2 top, 3 and 4 bottom. Heavy maintenance manual Sec 74-00-00 page 25

Is module A the one that mounts on top or the bottom? I am suspecting a bad module on my ignition A as when I perform the ignition check, when ignition switch B is switched off, the engine quits. This is an intermittent problem. Installed a buddy's modules and all is good. Has anyone seen this before?

Yes - -

I have posted a few times that I had BOTH modules fail between 400 - 500 hours. Get a reduced price PAIR of soft-start from Lockwood, or one of the major suppliers. My first started showing on/off cycles, then failed all together. The second just stopped working.

I have posted a few times that I had BOTH modules fail between 400 - 500 hours. Get a reduced price PAIR of soft-start from Lockwood, or one of the major suppliers. My first started showing on/off cycles, then failed all together. The second just stopped working.

My theory is these things cook after the engine is cut off and no air flow in the tight canopy. I have been opening the oil door after shut off to allow hot air to escape. These modules should last longer than 260 hours.

Thanks JB.

Hey Dave - -

I have also posted pictures of THERMAL TEMP STRIPS on the places that should show ultimate temps reached at any point. I trust them. The ign modules are at 140 degrees F. The Rec/Reg is at 150 degrees F. I would advise putting them on. I think they give us a good idea of what temps are being reached. True, a hot spot opposite the temp strip might miss a spike, but I think the heat builds slowly and fairly uniformly in these areas.

I ordered a new pair of modules today. They are on back order and no one has them, should be a month or so for delivery. All of the sources said that they have had a run on these over the past few months. Also, no joy with help from Rotax on them. Apparently it has been determined that they are getting too hot in our application.:mad:

When these ignition modules go bad, do they fail completely or is it possible that they could only affect 1 plug or 2 etc?
Thanks, Steve

Steve - -

My experience is they can intermittenly work and not work. When they are not working - ALL PLUGS STOP WORKING for that module.

Voltage Regulator / Rectifier failure

I have 140 hours and just had my first voltage regulator failure. Is this an isolated case or have others experienced the same. I'm not looking forward to loosing an ignition module. In car years, 140 hours equates to approximately 7000 miles. If ignition modules fail after 400 hours this equates to approximately 20,000 miles. Is the heat causing these failures? These failures seem premature. I hope Rotax is taking note of the volume of replacement components and realizes that this failure rate does not look good.

Jersey

Did you have the light kit which included the optional air blast tube to the voltage regulator?
Also, what were the symptoms?

Light Kit

Yes, I have the light kit and installed the ventilation tube as described in the light kit installation guide.

Jersey

Symptoms

The alternator would charge for about 2 minutes at 13.2 volts and then the amperage and voltage would flicker for about a minute. The voltage would then drop to 12.8 volts and the amperage would show negative according to the dynon. Voltage would progressively drop until I got a warning.

Gary

I would give all my grounding wires especially the main grounds a really good tightening to at least rule them out. Grounds are considered hand tight, but wrench loose until you put a wrench on them.

I had the exact same problem and phenomena as Jersey after 200 hours.
Even with the blast tube the regulator gets very hot on a real hot day.
I replaced it and also carry a spare on board as I don't want to get stuck far from home.

Grounding

Tightened mounting bolts and went through all the grounding wires on the panel and still had the same problem. Replaced the regulator and all is well now. I will get a spare like Jack did.

Jersey

Back