What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque specs for engine mounting

Buzz J

I'm ready to install my engine later today, but I can't locate the torque specs for the four Allen screws/bolts to mount the engine to the mount. Also need torques for the four bolts mounting the engine mount to the firewall and standoff. Manual says (46-06) to find the specs in Rotax Illustrated Catalog! Can't seem to figure it out... Anyone have the torque specs and any other thoughts...anti-seize material, Loctite needed??.....thx!

Buzz

I had the same problem. They are listed next to the part description. You'll find all the torques listed like that.

Torque specs

Thx for info...by the way I discovered that Vans does list the specs for the four firewall bolts in the manual (160 to 190)... My misread. But I still can't find the first group...the Allen screws/bolts attaching the engine mount ring to the engine (46-06). Do you know what they are? Trying to get it in today. Thx again!

I had the same problem. They are listed next to the part description. You'll find all the torques listed like that.

I think what Rich was trying to describe is that most torque values are in the Rotax Illustrated Parts Catalog. Listed with the part # and description. If it is not, then you use a generic torque value from a chart, based on the bolt size.
The torque for the bolts you are asking about are in the IPC (though I thought it was in the kit assembly instructions also).

Correction, I just checked... on page 46-06 it says...

"Torque the mount screws to the value found in the ENGINE SUSPENSION FRAME ASSY. Section 28 of the Rotax Illustrated Parts Catalog."

Last edited:
Ever since correcting an error of the incorrect torque being specified in the Kit Assy Instructions (note it now refers builders to the Rotax documentation for the proper torque value), many RV-12's have been finished and flown with zero incidence of these bolts loosening.

Follow the Rotax specifications and you will be fine. Use thread locker if you want, but it hasn't been found to be necessary.

Prop balancing

A lot of the problems we were having back in the old days :) were caused by improperly balanced and pitched props. That goes for engine mount problems, firewall cracks, oil pressure sender failures etc. One of the first things you should do before driving your plane a whole lot is to set up your prop !!!!!!! Believe me I should know. :eek:

Gary Eldridge

Back