What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Flow Sensor

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Tonight the fuel flow sensor did not work. I have had no problems in the first 12 hours but all of a sudden it stopped. I have not done any trouble shooting yet but thought I would see if there is any knowledge out there on this part failing early.
I have not upgraded to Skyview 4 yet.
Thanks.

Debris

I suspect debris since the filter/gascolator is after the fuel sensor. I have never had issues on the -10 because the fuel filter is before the sensor.
I'll keep you all updated.

These are all good suggestions, but there seem to be a lot of spurious hi-flow indications that develop too. I have had several hi-flow alarms after 30 hours of flying. There was no evidence of a legitimate hi-flow.

I'm sure the two phenomenon (zero flow and hi-flow) aren't related, but it does point out that the fuel flow sensor is problematic.

I had similar probs recently and I also took the connectors off the fuel flow sensor wires and replaced them with ring terminal connectors on both brown wires. Voila, no more probs, I suspect vibration coupled with loose fitting terminals coupled with a little oxidation caused poor conductive current to be translated by my D 180 as intermittent failure of the fuel sensor. Also, I found that tinning the connection wires with solder before crimping connectors solved a lot of our erratic D 180 indications for the various sensors in the 12 build!!!!!

Good Luck, remember, thats why they call it Experimental! I will change it to be Frustrating Experimental when I become KING!

Wack it !!!!

I hate to admit it but I removed the tunnel cover and wacked it with the but end of a screw driver with the electric fuel pump running. Imediately it showed flow. The next flight stopped reading again. Opened up the tunnel and wacked it again and again it started reading. I rationalized that its not a critical point of information so why not give it a try. Apparently debris from construction stopped it.

For what its worth, approximately 120 hours later still reading perfectly. No glitches..

Gary Eldridge

Oops Scott, we forgot to mention the whacking method

That is funny, but hey it works wonders...sometimes. Remember not to whack it too hard or more than twice a day.

My original FT-60 failed within the first few hours and was replaced under warrantee. They do fail occasionally.

The high fuel flow annomaly is another matter, and both Dynon and Van's are investigating it. Stay tuned.

Pro Seal

There's a good possibility that debris like Proseal and aluminum shavings will be floating around for a while.

The whacking method (not to hard), although Barbaric can dislodge it from the turbine while the pump is running. The civilized / nonfarmer method is to remove it and blow through both ends with low pressure air (mouth), WD-40 etc. Although the senders are susceptable to debris, they are very simple in design.

Gary Eldridge

Farmer

Oops sorry Dave :eek:
Growing up in the country we fixed sticking floats on carburateurs to hungup tractor starters with a good lick from a hammer.:D

Proseal / aluminum drill shavings

As a matter of fact I did have a some very small pieces of aluminum and proseal in the gascolator. Although I vacumed the tank out I probably should have rinsed the tank out with Varsol.

Gary Eldridge

Back