What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High egt at idle

Dave12

Well Known Member
My D180 is now displaying a high egt at idle. Typically it occurs in the pattern when the throttle is closed. I can get it back to normal by opening the throttle. I have replaced the probe and switched the wiring to see if it followed to the other bank, which it does. I think I have ruled out the D180 and the probe. It appears to be the Rotax. Has anyone else encountered this?

My D180 is now displaying a high egt at idle. Typically it occurs in the pattern when the throttle is closed. I can get it back to normal by opening the throttle. I have replaced the probe and switched the wiring to see if it followed to the other bank, which it does. I think I have ruled out the D180 and the probe. It appears to be the Rotax. Has anyone else encountered this?

Dave,

Have you done any experimenting with the rich/lean settings on the carburetors? Those can have a dramatic influence on your EGT results.

Pete

Intake leaks seem to have the biggest impact on a single egt rise.
low MP causes lots of suction which will expose an intake leak, leaning that cylinder, and causing an EGT rise. That would be my first place to look. Very common.

I have not touched the carbs other than to synch them up. I am coming up on 100 hours so I am now thinking possibly a defective o-ring at the carb/manifold junction. Very good thoughts gents, thanks. The engine is running very smoothly and I don't detect a vacuum leak, but I am suspecting one.

Why don't you put your carb synch gauges on to check for a difference between right and left sides?

mrt has the right idea for detecting a leaking manifold or carb conection.\\\

It should show up as a low inches

Gary E

Back